WY units

Thanks for all the help, already have the list from the G&F. Planned on 23, a buddy who I work with was from there. Couple hundred isn't bad when the alternative is sitting at home for another year and not drawing a single tag.

Brent

For what it's worth, I would ask several questions before paying a trespass fee. I would hate to cough up $200.00 and arrive to find a bunch of company on a small place. Over the last few years I have found trespass fees from $75.00 up to $200.00. I would want to know the size of the property I was paying for and the number of other hunters that were going to be there. A couple of years ago I made up a form letter to send out to landowners, on the front I put a personal message and on the back I have specific questions with either a yes or no check box or a short answer space and room for comments. I include a self addressed stamped envelope for return of the form. The letter has worked very well so far, I am always concerned that if I just call I will call at a bad time and annoy someone, the letter can be read at leisure and avoids the annoyance, one of the questions I always ask is a "best time/number to call" . Then if it looks promising I will follow up with a phone call.

You are getting good advice from some of the other members, add your own research and you should have a great hunt.

Bob

Thanks for the info. I contacted the G&F for the landowner list. I got ahold of around 18-25 landowners in 23. Everyone of them had leased the land out to outfitters. They all gave me the name of the outfitters. I figure the outfitters came in and they didn't update the G&F list. I will find something, if not I have a dessert mule deer hunt scheduled and you always have all the exotics(free ranged/fenced) to fall back on.

Brent

Unfortunately that is the trend everywhere nowadays! Where they were probably getting $200 a hunter doing it themselves, an outfitter will come in and offer them a good chunk of cash and do all the work for them handling all the hunting on the ranch. That then raises the price per hunter up into four figures, which really sucks just to kill a goat!!! This leasing trend is getting to the point where we are movng more and more to the European system where only the wealthy will eventually be able to hunt. That will make the Libs real happy because then there will be no need for a person to own a firearm!!!

This leasing trend is getting to the point where we are movng more and more to the European system where only the wealthy will eventually be able to hunt. That will make the Libs real happy because then there will be no need for a person to own a firearm!!!

I hate to break it to you but hunting is not the only reason to own a firearm. every red blooded American should own and carry a firearm, not only is it a good deterrent for evil doers but its good insurance for your personal well being. Most people on here enjoy shooting steel at least as much or more than shooting animals. You can go ahead and group the bench resters, SASS, trap/skeet guys and many others in there too who dedicate their free time to firearms and it doesnt actually involve hunting. Implying that "Hunting is the only reason to own a firearm is a Very Liberal statement in itself"

Mike--- I should have worded that a little differently because I agree with your assessment 100%. I was not speaking from my viewpoint, but rather from that of the Libs who want any reason to take our firearms! Sorry I did not make that clearer in my post! Peace Bro!!!

Leasing hunting land is here to stay. I can't say. Blame the landowners either. They paid for the land and pay the taxes. Why shouldn't they get something out of the deal? I also agree that hunting will someday become a luxury some or most can't afford.

I don't blame them either and it definitely is a sign of the times. A lot of ranches have been in the same family for generations and in order to keep the land they have to do whatever they can to pay taxes, etc. It is also probably a lot easier on them to go the lease route with outfitters, especially those that are getting older and can't do all that is needed to keep property open without going that route.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.