WY Unit 68 first tag

wild weasel

Putting in last year, as an afterthought, i asked my wife if she wanted to apply too. So she says yeah but i said we're going to apply separately as i had 4 points and this being her first time she had one point bought. 8 of us put in--she's the only one to get drawn. What's so tough getting drawn she says. Ok. Unit 68 no less. So i get her rifle shooting pretty good and to Lander we go. Opening morn 7:10 we see a buck. She's getting her rifle and starts getting all set and i say get back in the bronco. His horns are like maybe 7 inches if that. So she's like all tweeked about how we aint gonna see another one. Saw a few more bucks and i wouldn't let her shoot. 9:30 spotted a pretty nice one like half mile away. I said let's try to get closer and check him out. Got to about 450 yds and she's just itching to shoot. No way, too far. We'll get closer. Got to 354 and i knew she capable of the shot. Ranged it anď dialed the scope and told her the usual things-breath, take your time, don't shoot a doe, etc. Bang. Here the bullet plop. The lope goes down- she turns to me and says----what's so tough about that. High five Annie Oakley. High five. Rrrrrright. We get up to it and he was a really nice one. Then she says it's bigger than the one i got in 2015. (It was.) When all said and done, this was the best trip we ever had. Ended up staying in Lander for three weeks, sight seeing, rabbit hunting, having a great time with Jo Ann. So now we're applying and she doesn't want to do the buddy draw cause i'll jinx her chances. Really??. If she gets drawn this year, she will be impossible. But i can live with that.

Attachments

• 20200429_225115.jpg
    20200429_225115.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 266
  • 20190924_122136.jpg
    20190924_122136.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 20190925_085848.jpg
    20190925_085848.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 241
I'm thinking about unit 68 this yr, I have 10 points the rest of our party has 7 points each, can anyone tell me about the unit? Is it worth burning 10 points on?

MachV, thank you. I think I had a better time than she did.
Muledeer, I'm sure you checked the 2019 draw results and that may give you a good idea of getting a tag. I can't say yea or nay on a hunt choice. But it's the unit we're putting in for.
Antelope tags Unit 68 type 1 500 tags up from 400. Don't know why more tags if numbers are down. Again, I can't say yea or nay on this.
Jo Ann's antelope went 14 1/2". Not too bad. That was about 7 or so miles into the unit, which is like approx 30 some miles by approx 30 some miles. LOTS of ground where you can find isolation. Got her's the first day AM and spent about a week rabbit hunting and saw very few hunters. Maybe a lot wait for the 2nd week or later. You can see one the first day or the last day. 2015 got mine on day 3. A teence under 15".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.