WY. Proposed Changes to NR Fees & Quotas

You wont have to worry about that. Once the Wolves have destroyed game populations they will cancel hunting seasons. Cost wont be an issue at that point.

I can see that happening too. More reintroduction of predators to areas where game is over the carrying capacity.

I honestly think they should stop giving a certain percent to out of state hunters. Here in idaho, if we want to buy a second deer or elk tag, it has to be after the NR hunters and then we have to pay NR fees. As a lifetime resident, we are the ones paying taxes, clearing the trails, and taking care of the game throughout the year. All states should take care for their own hunters first. I don't expect montana or wyoming to put me and my hunting partners above their own. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I honestly think they should stop giving a certain percent to out of state hunters. Here in idaho, if we want to buy a second deer or elk tag, it has to be after the NR hunters and then we have to pay NR fees. As a lifetime resident, we are the ones paying taxes, clearing the trails, and taking care of the game throughout the year. All states should take care for their own hunters first. I don't expect montana or wyoming to put my and my hunting partners above their own. Just my 2 cents.
Your viewpoint has already been adjudicated, the courts said that residents and non-residents have the same rights to hunt public land as National Forest and BLM are federally funded. So residents pay no more for the lands than non-residents and all US citizens should have the same opportunity to hunt. If you do not like this you can always purchase enough land to get landowner tags.

Your viewpoint has already been adjudicated, the courts said that residents and non-residents have the same rights to hunt public land as National Forest and BLM are federally funded. So residents pay no more for the lands than non-residents and all US citizens should have the same opportunity to hunt. If you do not like this you can always purchase enough land to get landowner tags.
The roads you use in Idaho to get to the mountains are state funded. The county roads leading into the mountains are paid for by county funds and maintained by ranchers or county equipment. The atv and motorcycle trails are maintained thru the year by those of us that use them or local groups. The state of Idaho hunting grounds are open to NRs.

I honestly think they should stop giving a certain percent to out of state hunters. Here in idaho, if we want to buy a second deer or elk tag, it has to be after the NR hunters and then we have to pay NR fees. As a lifetime resident, we are the ones paying taxes, clearing the trails, and taking care of the game throughout the year. All states should take care for their own hunters first. I don't expect montana or wyoming to put my and my hunting partners above their own. Just my 2 cents.
While I understand ur frustration with NR hunters if u think about it that's a pretty selfish viewpoint.
Most would never be able to pursue any species of game except those in their home state.
I realize each state should care for the residents first and ur post said " if u want to buy a second tag". Sounds like they are doing just that.
I live in the SE and would never be able to hunt anything but little whitetail deer and turkeys.
I realize u probably will never want to come to TN to hunt anything and I don't blame u but if u travel anywhere for any reason u are using the highways , airports etc... that we as tax payers are funding.
Even the schools where u send ur children are supplemented by federal tax dollars.
It's been 40 yrs since I hunted elk in ID.
I really enjoyed my experience there and met some wonderful people.
Don't be so quick to deprive others of the same experience.

While I understand ur frustration with NR hunters if u think about it that's a pretty selfish viewpoint.
Most would never be able to pursue any species of game except those in their home state.
I realize each state should care for the residents first and ur post said " if u want to buy a second tag". Sounds like they are doing just that.
I live in the SE and would never be able to hunt anything but little whitetail deer and turkeys.
I realize u probably will never want to come to TN to hunt anything and I don't blame u but if u travel anywhere for any reason u are using the highways , airports etc... that we as tax payers are funding.
Even the schools where u send ur children are supplemented by federal tax dollars.
It's been 40 yrs since I hunted elk in ID.
I really enjoyed my experience there and met some wonderful people.
Don't be so quick to deprive others of the same experience.
Unless you live here and see what it has become and where it is going, you don't understand. Why is it selfish to take care of those that pay for and care for the animals first. I don't travel elsewhere to hunt. If I did, I would be ready to pay a large price because that is fair. It is selfish, in my view, to expect the same opportunities without investing the same amount as others.
Not mad, as I know it is hard to tell view texts and posts.

Unless you live here and see what it has become and where it is going, you don't understand. Why is it selfish to take care of those that pay for and care for the animals first. I don't travel elsewhere to hunt. If I did, I would be ready to pay a large price because that is fair. It is selfish, in my view, to expect the same opportunities without investing the same amount as others.
Not mad, as I know it is hard to tell view texts and posts.

So NR actually pay the majority of F&G budget in Idaho, not the R as you claim. We, yes "We" as sportsman pay for ID, as well as other states wildlife through the Pittman–Robertson Act. Your argument about county roads is laughable.

Without NR buying licenses in ID the portion you will get will continue to dwindle, ID only received $13.2 million from the fund, down the previous two years.

Let's not even get into how much NR bring into ID year after year to the tune of $3.7 billion. It's more than just hunting that drives use of "your land". Think bigger picture here.

Please continue to blame NR for the crowding issues, despite NR recieving THE SAME NUMBER OF LICENSES year after year. Maybe it's the fact Idaho has grown 300k people over the past decade concentrating people into the same areas?

But the worst part of your small minded view points is wanting to take away opportunities from the next generation. I agree R should be treated better than NR when it comes to tag allocation, but without sportsman from all walks of life, hunting as we know and love will simply vanish.

I'm guessing you selectively either forgot those points or simple don't know them?

see my post above about all that goes into getting up into the hills to hunt. F&g budget doesn't cover roads, trails, etc. it pays salaries and not a lot else. In the last 10 years we have double the out of state hunters alone. Bad winter in 2015, more wolves, etc equal less game. By your tone, you think you're too smart to learn anything from my post, so I'll leave it at that. Don't care if you understand it from our standpoint. The residents don't see a dime of your money.

I agree with mram to a point, before I moved to Montana in 91 I came here the 2 years before as a NR.
The before and after has takin a "180" so I know were hes coming from. When I moved to Montana I came with the mindset when in Rome do as the " Romans" know it's not that way just look at the wolf issue with all the NR arguing about how much tourism and dollars they bring to the state for example.
I would like to see a comparison to the 90's how much outfitting, hotels etc. were to the Yellowstone are from all the elk tags and not screwed # from the wolf lovers.
I know of one couple who moved to Montana about 8 years ago and are instrumental in trying to stop trapping in Montana that's I'm sure what's rubbing mram and me both.
I know not all NR are that way but it's a fact what's happening to the Rocky Mtn states.

see my post above about all that goes into getting up into the hills to hunt. F&g budget doesn't cover roads, trails, etc. it pays salaries and not a lot else. In the last 10 years we have double the out of state hunters alone. Bad winter in 2015, more wolves, etc equal less game. By your tone, you think you're too smart to learn anything from my post, so I'll leave it at that. Don't care if you understand it from our standpoint. The residents don't see a dime of your money.

Yes I went and looked it up, the Federal government through grants and funds, paid ~$46million into the ID F&G according to the annual report, more than the total of what it was able to generate on their own.

For roads, ID gets back $1.06 for every $1 they put in from the govt, one of the few states that's a negative. But I guess facts cannot sway you?

On top of which, annual R licenses has fallen over the last decade, year after year. The very people in your own state don't want to hunt there. How else will F&G make up for the revenue loss? We all know Govt can't seem to stop spending money.

Fishing however has skyrocketed, so we are all these pesky NR you speak of? The total # of tags granted to NR has not increased, in fact R usually buy a good portion of the left over OTC tags except the last two years. Senior tags are down as well. It seems there are less R floating around, because less are buying tags? This includes both controlled and OTC. Even OIL availability has decreased across the state, because the animals are not being managed properly. I guess that's NR fault as well?

The point being NR are not blame for the decrease in ID hunting, your own F&G is who is having a problem managing the wildlife. Increasing tag prices won't curb anything, putting in controlled acreas however will.

Not against NR hunting, but the residents should get the first opportunity at everything. I've met some great guys on the site here and especially run across "idiots" up in the mountains hunting were only goats and my group was :) Our resource is very finite and with hunting numbers doubling, that is a lot less to harvest.

Kip, you think you know a lot more than you really do. Think thru the numbers and see where it helps the res hunters, not just brings some money to the state. If I added up the taxes paid by me and the other res guys, it would dwarf anything you think you add to the pot. In 2018, res bought almost 70k deer tags compared to 11k NR tags.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.