WY. Proposed Changes to NR Fees & Quotas

In my local paper same for ID.Hunter support has declined,on local level.So out of state goes up,estimate loss is 4-9 million.Try to make up with higher fee for out of state going hurt guides and local bussiness.Part of it not enough game to go around anymore.Im going to have hunt other side of MT,for starters

I don't see how raising fees almost 50% will bring in more NR hunters. If numbers of available animals are down, then they aren't intending to bring in more hunters. I don't live there, so IDK anything about the actual numbers of animal populations. I do believe my home state of WI. is trying to bring in more hunters, both in state and NR. We have a program whereby residents and non resident first time license buyers get a huge break on the license fee. Our NR whitetail licenses are OTC and the regular fee is $160.00. A first time NR hunter can buy the same license for $79.95. What I read about the proposed changes in WY. don't make sense to me on any level. I must be overlooking something?

The paper article was .Tags more for NR,which means decrease 4-9 mill. in revenue.But locals want more opportunities.So less out of state and really raise price to somehow make up for loss?But yes not everyone is going to buy into that,plus alot out westis not what it was.

I just burned my pronghorn points last year in Wyoming and plan to burn deer this year. Elk the next. The out of state prices are getting high, but I have too many years into fees on my points to just drop out of it. The increase in non-resident fees across the west over the last several years are definitely changing up my hunt plans to include fewer out of state hunts as it gets more cost prohibitive.

It failed as many predicted it would given its first time out. Rest assured, the issue isn't going away. Residents want more tags and our elected officials will have to do something. I'll be more than happy to pay more for better odds...

Last edited:
I don't have much green to go around as it is. The increase in fee's and licenses is slowing my hunting down a lot. I live in Nevada but the scarcity of game this last season was appalling. I would like to hunt other states but by the time you add in fuel and lodging, an seven to eight hundred dollar tag/license will bring the total cost over two grand. I can barely afford one hunt a year at that price and any increase in price of a tag/license may keep me at home.
Not only is the financial end of the hunt sometimes problematic, but I also look at the politics. States with oppressive gun laws and wide open dope laws don't get my money. I might not be able to vote in a state but I can talk with my meager pocketbook.

It is probably coming to all states. I have hunted many times in Wyoming but haven't for a long time. I am into 20 years on a bighorn sheep tag so hope it comes soon.

I have been going to Alaska for a few years now and in 2017 the price of a non resident license went from $85 to $160 and doubled the prices of the all the tags for non residents. So a moose tag went from $400 to $800 at the stroke of a pen.

It is probably coming to all states. I have hunted many times in Wyoming but haven't for a long time. I am into 20 years on a bighorn sheep tag so hope it comes soon.

I have been going to Alaska for a few years now and in 2017 the price of a non resident license went from $85 to $160 and doubled the prices of the all the tags for non residents. So a moose tag went from $400 to $800 at the stroke of a pen.

Yes, Alaska did that. Me and four buddies were fortunate to hunt there in 2016 right "before" they pretty much doubled their NR hunting license fees. Looks like we could be just under the wire again for our 2020 WY NR Antelope hunt. LUCKYYY!

One hunter here that has zero incentive to pay the usury rates, air fare, guide fees and lodging for animals in the West. One can hunt South Africa or Namibia, all in, week to two weeks, for less than a one animal hunt in a western state. This doesn't include taxidermy. Unlike the U.S. your animals are just about guaranteed. My continuing prediction is that after the boomers stop hunting, the states will have to PAY people to maintain healthy herds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts