Wy Elk unit 61

handeerooster

I am looking for some info on unit 61. I have 4 points and plan to Archery hunt first if no success then I will rifle hunt. Im not familiar with this unit but it looks like good draw odds with 4 points 100% Looks like the early season has better success rate. Are there a lot of wolves or Grizzlies in this area? Is there a good deal of public land with access? How ruff is the terrain and how much of the unit is wilderness? Any info will help. Thanks

Area 61 is plum full of grizzlies but there are also some great bulls in there. 90% of the unit is public land. The access is good but there is a whole bunch of wilderness.

That pretty well sums it up. We have seen 50+ grizzlies in there on a week hunt. Wolves are thick in there also. Most is wilderness where the elk are during the season. The terrain is steep and rugged in most areas where the good elk are.

I forgot about the terrain. Like LTLR said, it is very, very rough. The pic in my signature was actually in 61. I haven't personally seen wolves in there but have talked to many who have. I've only seen tracks. With 61 bordering 58 and having a lot of wilderness area, you can be sure there are some bruisers in there. My father-in-law was chasing a 370 around in there this past fall. If you draw, come fit. And, if you're bowhunting, pack a pistol.

Thanks guys, seeing I am from out of state do you know of anyone who runs a semi guided hunt so I can gain access to the wilderness area. The type 2 hunt looks like it is only about a 50 % draw. And I will most definitely being carrying a 357 revolver.

I have hunted 61 several times over the years when I can draw a tag. It is a physical hunt like stated, but can produce some very large bulls. Especially if you get some weather. The best hunting in that unit is in the Wilderness area so an outfitter is going to be a must. My suggestion would be to apply for an area 62 any elk tag. It is on the south side of the river and has a ton of hunting off wilderness that is easily accessible. I have been hunting this area with family for about 8 years now and we have taken some giants out of there. Another good reason is that there is a ton of long range shooting there as well. Many good roads that take you to trailheads that are easily hiked after that. It is an archery honey hole as well. I don't know why, but you will not see many archery hunters. It always seems strange to me. My brother was actually stalking a 7x7 in the 380 class last year and could not get passed his cows. We came back in the rifle season and saw him only once moving through some dark timber on the other ridge. Never got a shot but he was big enough that we passed 12 more bulls in 3 days that were 330 to 360 class. My cousin shot a 7x9 that was a very old bull. It olny scored in the low 360's because all the tines were short. It had more mass than any other elk I have seen. It was fighting with a 6x6 typical that would have scored better when he snuck in on them any shot the nontypical at 20 yards with his rifle. Please don't think you will kill or see this size of bulls all the time. It was a good year for growth and we hadn't seen numbers like that for awhile. I actually think the wolf situation has pushed the elk into the area, and instead of wintering there they have become resident elk. There are many Griz in this area too, but it has never stopped us from spiking out in a tent. I hope this helps with another option. I have recently moved to Vernal UT, so now I have no points in WY and the odds for 62 are less than 5%. Maybe my family in WY will draw?

Thanks for the info I have looked at that unit but like you it is less than 5% to draw that unit even with 4 points. Sounds like you had some great hunts in that unit. I think I am going to stick with a unit in the bighorns I will be happy with anything over 300 for my 1st bull, and there should be some good opportunity in the BigHorns. Going to try 35 or 45.
Thanks

55 and 56 produce big bulls if you know where to look in the early season. You can access some really good areas from the North Forks Hwy and trail heads.

jus' sayin'

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.