Wy antelope diy

While you may be able to find a local guide, hunting antelope isn't that difficult. what's difficult is find them on property where you have permission/access.

Antelope are prairie animals so they generally just stand in the middle of fields where you can see them. The trouble is that they can see you and if you spook them, they will go for a half mile jog like it's nothing.

In order to avoid this, when you spot them from your vehicle, drive out of sight, then stalk your way back.

Me and a buddy went to hunt antelope in WY a couple years ago and knew nothing other than what we had read on LRH. You can read all about our adventure here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2-va-lrhers-eastern-wy-78874/

My first non-resident hunt was Wyoming Antelope years ago. Very do able. Tags get a little tighter each year it seems, purchase points in the next couple of months to help with next years draw.

Where does a guy start to look for which units to apply for

Scour the Wyoming Game and Fish website. Pretty sure they publish harvest reports and draw odds for each area.

The other thing to consider is looking at the areas that have lots of public land AND you can get access to it (some of the public land is 'land locked' as it is surrounded by private land and as a result, would need a 'pass' to get across the private to get to the public land)

Enough info to focus your thinking, either in the Antelope forum, or using the google search function top right corner. Type in DIY Wyoming Antelope, Wyoming Antelope Draw odd, Wyoming Antelope points needed. The Wyoming F&G site for basic unit maps etc. A basic Delorme map of the state will get you basic land ownership ideas. Looks like you're coming quite aways. Transportation cost being what they are, booking a hunt in Alberta could be cost effective for you.

Thanks for reply . if anyone what to set up a diy hunt for next year im all for it let me know .

Keep my name in mind. If you put in and get drawn for Area 7, NE Wyoming near Newcastle, let me know I'll put you on a good DIY hunt, plenty of public land, easy access, lots of goats.

Plus there is lots of Private Walk in Areas.

I'm not a guide or outfitter, but there is no law says I can't give you advise.

Also our club has "Sight In Days" the last two days before the opening day. I'll be working the range so if its a go on your part, you can find me there (if this is the case, I'll get you directions to the range which is right there in Newcastle.

There I'll point you to the best spot. I usually scout the area before the season so will have a better ideal where to hunt.

Keep my name in mind. If you put in and get drawn for Area 7, NE Wyoming near Newcastle, let me know I'll put you on a good DIY hunt, plenty of public land, easy access, lots of goats.

Plus there is lots of Private Walk in Areas.

I'm not a guide or outfitter, but there is no law says I can't give you advise.

Also our club has "Sight In Days" the last two days before the opening day. I'll be working the range so if its a go on your part, you can find me there (if this is the case, I'll get you directions to the range which is right there in Newcastle.

There I'll point you to the best spot. I usually scout the area before the season so will have a better ideal where to hunt.

Where were you two years ago when me and a buddy were there! We hunted Area 6 & 7. Killed a nice buck each though....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2-va-lrhers-eastern-wy-78874/

Checked out wy hunting government site . Wow is that a lot different than buying licences and tags( draws) than us . Felt a whole bunch overwhelming lol. I think ill just call them see what the heck I need and got to dolightbulb

Wyoming is actually one of the easiest states to deal with as far as draws and licensing goes. You'd go crazy if you went into the New Mexico site or some of the others if you think the Wyoming one is rough!

Wyoming is actually one of the easiest states to deal with as far as draws and licensing goes. You'd go crazy if you went into the New Mexico site or some of the others if you think the Wyoming one is rough!

Wyoming is one of the best. I've dealt with several states and provinces, and agree completely with this assessment. Washington is the worst in my opinion. I called Colorado once and while you were waiting online instead of music it was a monthly profile animal of the month. That month was the screech owl turned up full volume. Scrreeeech your call is important to us please stay on the line screeech, all our operators a busy your call will be answered in the order it was received scrrreeech. I couldn't hang on long enough to talk with a person. I've never tried again.

Where does a guy start to look for which units to apply for

We just called and asked where to go. There info was spot on. One day while packing a lope' back to the truck we got checked by the warden. Very nice and informative.

We got drawn again this year and we're headed back to Casper come October.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.