• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTT: 6mm Remington Ammo

cowboyarcher

Hi All,

Been trying to get my dad's old 740 Woodsmaster in 6mm Rem shooting, and due to the slow twist barrel, it won't group this ammo well. So I'm looking to trade for a similar quantity of factory 6mm Rem loaded with something less than 85 grains up front, or 100 pieces of matching headstamp 6mm brass.

The ammo I have is Remington Core-Lokt 100grn PSP. There are 62 rounds included, and as you can see 9 are a fair amount older, as they have the older style box and foam cartridge carrier. The other 53 rounds were purchased this fall.

Email is best for me: teeteradam

Thanks all and may God bless you,

Adam

IMG_4193.jpg

My .243 Shoots 6mm Remington Ammo. This is Per Remington.
Check and See if you 6mm will shoot the .243 Loads, As 8. & 85 Grain Factory Loads are Abundant without going to reloads.

Sir 243 Win. and 6MM Rem. are not inter-changeable. I am sure that the 742 Woods Master has a 1-10 twist. It should shoot the 100 grains fine. I have seen some 742's that shoot very good and some that shoot very bad. What kind of groups are you getting with the ammo on hand? I worked in a sporting goods store part time for 13-1/2 years and I use to charge people to sight thier rifles in for them From my experience If you are getting 2" groups at 100 yards consider that good. With most semi auto rifles target accuracy is not to be had but there is always the exception to the rule. Now if your rifle had a 1-12 twist I would say you will get better accuracy with the 85 grain bullets. But I think you will find that the 85 grain bullets will shoot no better. Just my 2 centts Lou

My .243 Shoots 6mm Remington Ammo. This is Per Remington.
Check and See if your 6mm will shoot the .243 Loads, As 8. & 85 Grain Factory Loads are Abundant without going to reloads.

Lou You ARe VERY RIGHT!!!!
What I meant to say is that 6mm Bullets and .243 Bullets are the same diameter and can used for reloading and fired out of either Weapon.
BUT the CASES are Different SIZES and should NOT be Interchanged.
now the 6mm and the .244 that's a different story.
Thanks For Correcting ME And Letting Him know. Paul

Sir 243 Win. and 6MM Rem. are not inter-changeable. I am sure that the 742 Woods Master has a 1-10 twist. It should shoot the 100 grains fine. I have seen some 742's that shoot very good and some that shoot very bad. What kind of groups are you getting with the ammo on hand? I worked in a sporting goods store part time for 13-1/2 years and I use to charge people to sight thier rifles in for them From my experience If you are getting 2" groups at 100 yards consider that good. With most semi auto rifles target accuracy is not to be had but there is always the exception to the rule. Now if your rifle had a 1-12 twist I would say you will get better accuracy with the 85 grain bullets. But I think you will find that the 85 grain bullets will shoot no better. Just my 2 centts Lou

I misunderstood the first response as well...

The rifle is the 740 with the 1:12 twist. The 100 grain bullets walk all over the place, grouping around 8".

I shot some 70 grain handloads yesterday in the wind and was getting a 3"-4" group, so I'm still hopeful I'll get the 85's to group. For the intended purpose of this rifle, a 3" group will be sufficient.

Thanks for the thoughts guys,

Adam

I stand corrected 1-12 twist is for bullets under 85 grain. I read your original post and misread the 740 to be 742. Remington at first came out with a 244 with a 1-12 twist trying to compete with winchesters 243 1-10 twist, later they change thier 244 to 1-10 twist and renamed it 6MM. The 244 and 6MM are the same case. The 244 has all but faded out. Good Luck with the 6MM and with reloads you may experiment with different powders, one thing to keep in mind you will be fine with reloading shells that have been fired in your rifle but you may not be as lucky if you reload shells that were shot in another rifle even with FL resizing the bolt may not close. If you want to use other fired brass to be on the safe side buy a small base die which is made for loading auto rifles. Just some more info Lou

Thanks Lou,

I believe the rifle is labled .244 rather than 6mm, but it's not handy here to check. Putting that in the intial post might have cleared up the confusion.

Thanks for the tip on the fired cases. Haven't had any interest yet, so it's not an issue yet lol.

Recent Posts