• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTS: Winchester 338-06 AI "Price Drop"

Duvel

For sale is a Winchester Model 70 chambered in 338-06 Ackley Improved. The action is one of the new FN owned Winchesters with the MOA trigger and control round feeding. The barrel is a 24" Pac-Nor with 1-10" twist, #3 contour. The bottom metal is a Williams one piece and the stock is a Bell and Carlson Medalist. It has only been shot 10 times. I fired 10 fire forming loads through it so I would have some rounds to check feeding with the improved cartridge(which is flawless) and I had a casing sent to Hornady to be modified for the Lock-n-Load O.A.L. Gauge. I'm also including a Redding 3-die set: FL sizer, Neck sizer, and Seater die. I built this gun for plains game in Africa, but I decided to take another gun. I 'm asking 1350.00 shipped and insured to your FFL. I have a lot more $ in the gun than what I'm asking, so Merry Christmas to whomever realizes the value I'm offering. PM me if interested. Thanks!

Attachments

• Winchester Featherweight Primary 001.jpg
    Winchester Featherweight Primary 001.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Winchester Featherweight Primary 002.jpg
    Winchester Featherweight Primary 002.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Winchester Featherweight Primary 003.jpg
    Winchester Featherweight Primary 003.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Winchester Featherweight Primary 004.jpg
    Winchester Featherweight Primary 004.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Winchester Featherweight Primary 005.jpg
    Winchester Featherweight Primary 005.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 13
Re: WTS: Winchester 338-06 AI

Can you tell me what the weight is of this rifle? Looks heavy but it's hard to judge from the picture how bulky the barrel is.

Nice rig. It is bedded and free floated? (I know the medalist has an aluminum block but I usually bed mine anyway)

Thanks,

Using a bathroom scale, it weighed 8lbs. Barrel measures .640 at the muzzle to give you and idea of the contour. Yes the gun is bedded, but I did it myself. It was the second time I had ever bedded a gun, so it may need a skim bed from someone more experienced(better). I've got full contact in all the right areas, just when you take the action out of the stock, the job doesn't look as pretty as when a pro does it. No, I'm not talented(sigh). Thanks for the inquiry!

And yes, the barrel is free floating...

Holy crap this is tempting...... Hows it shoot? What load? Hows the recoil?

My guess is, since he only shot it to fire form some cases, he used very mild loads and wasn't really pushing it. When I fire form cases for my 30 Hart, I only use about 10 grains of powder and fill the case with meal and stuff a cotton wad in the neck to hold the powder and meal in place. I don't even use a bullet.

Duvel,

One point of clarification please. When you say "one piece bottom metal" do you mean that this has a blind magazine without a hinged floorplate?

Thanks,

It's only been shot ten times, so I only have a limited idea on how it "shoots". I did a shoot, clean, shoot clean, for those ten fire forming loads and I was using 250gr Sierra Gamekings. In 3 shots I had it sighted in, the next seven were under and inch. Recoil is not bad at all. I can't imagine full house 338-06 AI loads being any worse than my 35 Whelen Improved(and it's easy to shoot). The 35 Whelen is a gun P.O. Ackley built and it is lighter than this 338-06. And the 35 is MUCH easier on my shoulder than a 338 win mag. I hope this helps to put the recoil in perspective. Expect the recoil to be slow and pushy instead of fast and sharp(if that makes sense).

Ok thanks... The new S.C. Winchesters have a 1 piece bottom metal meaning the trigger gaurd and hinge metal are 1 piece...

It does have a hinged floorplate. At one time Winchester used a two hinged setup, the trigger guard and latch was one peice and the floorplate and hinge was another. I hope this helps.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with 338-06Ackley instead of the standard shoulder? I am an ardent 338-06 shooter/loader and admire this gun of yours. Nice rifle! I get 2900 fps with 200gr bullets and 2750 fps using 225 gr bullets, using Varget. Shoots groups that touch at 100 yds in my Savage 110 I built up using a $200 Shaw barrel kit. Cheezie

Cheezie, Those sound like some healthy loads... The reason I went with the improved shoulder is because I wanted that slight increase in case capacity(obviously). A velocity gain didn't interest me in the least. What was important to me is chamber pressure, especially in the hot African climate. With the extra capacity, I should be able to use standard 338-06 max load data for the improved case and still have sane pressures, in theory at least. Some would say, "Why not use the 338 win mag?" Simple, I do not care for a belted case.

In my 35 Whelen Improved, I could easily reach 2600 FPS with 250gr pills(using Varget), and the brass would almost fall out of the gun. I guess this helped sway me towards the improved chamber as well. For the record, IMR-8208 XBR is a kick anus powder for the 35 Whelen. I'm still doing testing, but the accuracy is INCREDIBLE! Probably more than you wanted to know, but there ya go anyways.

The deal did not go through. Back up for sale. Price drop! $1250 shipped.