WTK 338 180 Ballistic tips?

Jim the Plumber

I have a 338 Remington Ultra mag that I load the 180 BT's in and am getting 3650+ - fps @ 15', they are very flat shooting to 1000 or so. Also seem very exsplosive up close. My question is how would they work on mid range/ longish range on mule deer? [ 600-1000 yards] I can get consistent hits on 10" ballons at 950 yards and practice, practice pratice!!! I shoot 60 to 100 rounds a week with this rifle and feel I can make the shot with out any problems. Thanks for your input. Jim the Plumber

They have a pretty low BC. You'd probably kill something plenty dead if you hit, but you'd get less wind drift and more retained energy with the 200 BT or 225 AccuBond.

That's if you have some reason for not wanting to use the 300 MK, of course.
grin.gif

I bought a .338 win over a .300 weatherby because of this bullet; however, the first year I lost a couple of whitetail with it. I admit I didn't follow them up as well as I should as I thought I just missed or something. I expected them to get knocked down at the very least. Then I shot a decent buck running away from me at about 300 yards. It had clearly been hit in the back ham Texas heart shot style. It ran a LONG way, crashed into a barbed wire fence, which was full of blood and hair, then ran/crawled up and down the fence ab out 20 yards either way, managed to make it over and down into a thick, deep valley. It was a nightmare.

The next year, I was a little more cautious of shot placement, and nailed a nice buck at about 175 yards quartering away. The buck ran away without falling. I thought I was in for another dose of last year's nightmare. There was deep snow, and as I walked up to the round bale the deer was munching on, there was a spray of hair and flesh on the snow. The face of the bale had a frisbee or large size spray of hair on it. We recovered the buck about 100 yards away. It managed to jump a fence to escape. There was a decent blood trail in the snow. When we found the deer, it had about a 5" wide hole and the ribs were blown out there. The bullet only went in a few inches and there was a golfball size chunk of lung gone. That's it. I suspect the bullet struck the rib and blew up. MV was ~3260 FPS. I never used the bullet again.

I am a huge supporter of Nosler bullets, and am the type of hunter that believes nearly all of the energy should be expended inside the animal when possible in typical hunting situations; however, I pass on this bullet now. I went to 200's and they wouldn't shoot. I tried partitions and they didn't shoot great but as I was hunting elk, it didn't matter much. They killed well, but the cores shed the jackets and it two bullets to kill mine. One never made it through on a broadside shot.

I now use 250 Sierra GK and they cut the same hole. The BC is higher than anything else out there aside from 300 MKs (that I know of) and they are one tough bullet. I have killed several critters with them with great success. I do plan to try the new Accubonds if I can ever get them up here. No one has them yet.

I have a pic of the entrance hole of that deer on my office computer and I'll post it tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts