WTB Recommended Action

NHGriff

Hello,
I'm looking for an action for a 6.5 X 284 hunting build up. I don't want to go the custom action route so I'm looking for the least expensive action that I can get. I'm thinking of either a Rem 700 or Win 70. I'd buy the whole rifle and ditch the parts I don't need if that works out cheaper, just wondering where you all start looking.
I've stopped by my local gun shop to see what they have but they only want to deal with nicer guns. Any deals on-line?
This will be my first build up but I have an excellent gunsmith that is local and will help with the build up. His name is Ray Simard and he's been shooting longer than I've been alive and is still better than I will hope to be, plus he's an old yankee so he only spends the money on things that will gain accuracy.

Any place to start will be appreciated.

Thanks

If you open to a Savage, I'd recommend a $250 Stevens 200 in 30-06. Ditch the barrel and stock. Get a good stock ($100-$400) and a quality pre-fit ($280-up).

It's the cheapest way to have a great shooting gun without the custom gun price tag.

Have you searched or posted in the ''for sale'' or ''for trade'' threads at the bottom of the L/R/H main page?

Most any and all pawn shops have Win. Model-70's and Rem 700's for sale. Some fella pawned it and didnt know what he had, or fell on hard times or what ever. Dont go in and buy a pitted out peicer. You can find a great ''donor'' that way. As far as wich one out of the two, thats completely up to you as the shooter, and wich bolt throw and safety you prefer. I dont get into ''this ones best'' any more on account of everyone has a different opinion to what is ''best''(cost, fit and finish, feel, bolt angle, magazine or clip etc). I personaly like Winchester, but BOTH are Exelent actions to build on. What do you prefer is the question you need to answer. Wich one do you feel most comfy with. You cant go wrong with either one. Theyve both stood the test of time, and MANY custom builds have been done on both with top notch results. Comes down to personal preferance between the two I think.

Ask the Rem fans (Broz, or Nonya, maybe Chas1) wich Rem NOT to buy. I think I hered something about a newer Rem that was ''not so builder friendly'', but dont have a clue wich model it was. As long as you get the right Rem action your fine.
Good luck.

By the time you have a factory action cleaned up you'll have a pretty penny into it. Sure, the Surgeon's, Borden's and the like will cost you around $1100-1200 or so. Take a look at the Pierce Premier Rifle Smiths : Firearm Part Manufacturer .

It you're looking at a long action repeater, $985 for an action "ready" to be screwed onto your barrel action and needs no "smithing" might be the way to go. He even Cerakotes it for free if you want.

I know I am. My 'smith, Chris Matthews of Longshot rifles Long Range Hunting Rifles from Long Shot Rifles Custom Built Rifles suggested it to me and he is well known over on 6mmbr.com. He is building my next few rifles for me.

Alan

Definitely the least expensive action to build on in the long run would be the Stevens 200. You can buy the action only, or can buy the rifle, part it out and keep just the action. Add a Rifle Basix trigger, stock, good aftermarket prefit barrel, bed it, mount your scope and go.

The least expensive action up front would be a Mauser. Sarco had them for $90 last month, and probably some still left. By the time you add trigger, update safety for scope, forge bolt handle, lap lugs & bolt, lap bolt raceways, and true receiver, you've got more into than the Stevens. But, you will have a CRF action. It'll take some rail work to get the 284 case to feed.

Another route you can go is the FNH SPR action (same as a Win 70 short action, CRF) with DBM. CDNN has actions (and Hogue stocks to fit them) available. Stock options are limited, as the DBM is different than the Win 70 inlet, so the Hogue stock and McMillan are the only choices AFAIK. I just completed a build on this action, and it was very square. My smith indexed it up, and found no reason to blueprint it (maybe I just got lucky). It's printing bugholes, so I don't think he was wrong... I had to butcher a Win 70 SA stock to put it into until I can afford a custom Russo stock. Action fit nicely, just had to hog out for the bottom metal - it's a LOT different than the hinged floorplate!

Have fun,

Brian

x2 LTLR IMHO the Vanguard/Howa makes a great donor and you can usually pick them up in the $300 range.

I just picked up a Howa 1500 in 270win that looked brand new for 300 bucks that's destined to be a 6.5-284 :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts