wt difference between Leupold & Talley

mcseal2

I've been trying to slim down my old Winchester M70 custom rifle for mountain hunting. It has a Mcgowan #3 fluted barrel 25", a Bell & Carlson aluminum bedded lightweight stock, and I recently added Pacific Tool & Gauge aluminum bottom metal. With scope, ammo, and sling it is still hovering right around the 9lb mark. It's not to bad to carry there, and my 30mm scope is 14.6 oz of that weight. I have a Leupold 1pc base and Leupold rings on it now with a VX-R 4-12x40 CDS. I know I could drop weight by switching stocks (1lb 15oz bedded with bipod stud), going to a thinner recoil pad, or lighter scope. Problem is I also put the action back into my old heavy thumbhole stock for whitetail season and really like this scope for that. I wondered how much weight Talley 1pc rings and bases would save, and if anyone had anything good or bad to say about them.

Thanks!

Bases and rings are probably the smallest switchable part of the whole rig. I own and use both, and I'd suggest it's a few of ounces at best. If your current scope and rig shoot well I'm not sure it's worth the effort but that's me.

The Talleys work just fine and I've had no problems with them, especially if you take the time to line them up and bed them.

It's probably less expensive to change your brand/type of sling. If you want to decrease the perceived weight of your rifle look at the Ultraflex sling:
www.sloganoutdoors.com
No, I have no connection to them, I'm just a very satisfied customer. I've been using their sling for several years and never touch any other sling anymore.

Good luck with your choice!

I have a set of Talley lightweight rings and mounts on my Savage and think that they're great! Made of aluminum, super light and really solid. That being said, I think Dr Vette is right in that it is such a small component you'll only save a few ounces and might not find that it's worth it to switch if your current setup is already working well for you.
Good luck with whatever setup you choose to go with!

9 pounds with a scope isn't too bad. You may find that your rifle might be a bit unpleasant to shoot if you shave too much more weight.

I know this is an old post but a timely one for me. I have been waffling between scopes due in part to weight and considered going with a bit heavier (and less expensive) scope and replacing the mounts to help compensate. Two scope choices are between the Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 which lists at 16 oz but someone weighed out of the box at 14.7oz vs a Swaro z3 3-10x42 at 12.7.

Dr Vette thanks for the tiip on that sling- I am definitely getting on....or more.

The diggerence in ring/mount weight will be grams so it's inconsequential unless you go to heavy steel rings and deven then, not much weight difference (like leaving one bullet out of your magazine........:)

Thanks- that looks like a good one too ....and i wish I would have seen it before pulling the trigger on the slogan Outdoors. Unlike me to move so fast but I bought one as a gift and want it in a hurry. Gonna bookmark yours and let friends compare the two. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts