WSSM rebarrel

bigairbear

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows what caliber options I have on a rebarrel for an a-bolt in 223 wssm in the future? Something other than the existing wssm's and preferably in a larger caliber. I can't figure anything out that has a magnum bolt in that short of a length. Am I missing something?

Well you can go straight to 25wssm(far better cartridge). You can wildcat the case to any cal desired, like 26wssm or 28 or 30wssm.
Next case up I believe is Remington Short Action Ultra Mags. Maybe this would fit in that action(may need to have the port extended a bit & change magazines or go single shot).

If it is a normal short action, you can go right up too the WSM, Ruger compact mags, and RSAUM. If you don't mind single feeding then you can go up to standard magnums. You will more than likely have to pull the bolt on a loaded round, but a fired case should eject nicely. If you don't want a magnum, then you could get a standard bolt face bolt and use the 06 casing class of calibers.

Tank

If its the WSSM A-bolt its a Super Short action. Only short cartriges will fit. Factory the largest would be 25 wssm, but the 6.5 Heaton is an option also there are two other wildcats I've heard/seen. The 30 WSSM(its called something else, used in ARs' some). Also, a place in Indiana has the 358 WSSM magnum that is legal in that state for deer hunting.

I never thought of single feeding as above was mentioned, I'd probably go with the SAUM as its a little shorter than the WSM and may not have to pull bolt to load.

Let us know what you go with, I have a 25 wssm in an A-bolt. Nice light rifle, but barrel leaves a little to be desired.

Thanks for the replies, I will look into some of these calibers you guys listed. I am most interested in the larger calibers for a light brush type rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.