WSM short mag feeding issues

I have 2 custom magnum mauser action rifles...1 was chambered in a wildcat 30/338 a d the other in a wildcat 6.5/257 wetherbyy. I rebarreleb both to the 300wsm and the other to the6.5 wsm. Now neither of these rifles will feed correctly at all. Does anyone have any ideas on how can I correct these issues and if so a Smith who can help?? Both are my 2 favorite hunting rifles. Thanks for any help!!
Probably a head space issue with the barrels not seated properly...a good Smith is your answer

There are plenty of stagger feed actions that reliably feed WSM's, you just have to have the correct box and follower geometry so the case sits in the correct relationship with the feed lips and ramp then it will hold and release in the correct timing. I've tuned other action just not the 98 and each has it's unique qualities

You are absolutely correct, but if the action was designed for some other cartridge It can be difficult to tune it and normally takes someone that is a good Smith and has experience with adjusting the follower and rails. The center feed box is easier and 100 % dependable when adjusted correctly, And the main advantage is no bullet tip deformation from hitting anything on chambering. This is one of the many reasons that bullet designers now use polymer for the tips and avoid the lead tip. others protect the tip with the jacket. (Like the protected point Swift).

When possible I would recommend the owner to find a donor that was originally chambered in a short mag and then it will be a simple barrel change most of the time.

J E CUSTOM

Course then once you modify the Mauser action you're stuck with it........no thanks

Go back to standard magnum rounds and call it a day

May also take a look at some of the Mauser forums for a somebody familiar and willing to do your work if possible ? If I am not mistaken I believe member 25WSM may have some help for you on here.

why in the world would anyone want a better 30 cal than the 30/338 you are going backwards. My friend the 30 /338 or 308 Norma is as good as it gets in 30 cal. Actually = to the 300 win there is nothing better.

I'm curious but why a 6.5/257 Wby? Why not just make life easy and do a 264 WM?

On a side note, my M70/WSM has always fed like a champ. Now a friend of mine punched a 700 TI in 300 SAUM to WSM and it was the absolute worst feeding rig I've ever seen (out of the magazine). Second worst I ever worked with was the Mauser 6/284 I mentioned earlier.

The early Kimbers were horrid, then they worked on them and got it right....
Dig up a smith and discuss with him before you get too worried about the costs. I cant imagine it would possibly cost more to clean up the feed system than to purchase a new barrel, have it chambered and have it mounted. Tailoring the feed system to the cartridge is frankly just part of building a custom rifle. Not always by any means but often times.
I bought this rifle used 30 years ago and it was chambered that way and was a tackdriver. I went the drought of the 6.5 wsm as I have another one in a bench rifle and have the reamer. Just didn't know ofall the issues I was creating in the switch!!!

why in the world would anyone want a better 30 cal than the 30/338 you are going backwards. My friend the 30 /338 or 308 Norma is as good as it gets in 30 cal. Actually = to the 300 win there is nothing better.
Well right about now I'mwishing I had done just that!!! At the time I couldn't find the reamer and now wish I had had one made....live and learn...the hard way!!! Its the main hunting rifle I have used and just burned up the barrel and wanted to try something else. Have killed 5 moose 1 grizzly and countless deer with the 30/338!!!

Well right about now I'mwishing I had done just that!!! At the time I couldn't find the reamer and now wish I had had one made....live and learn...the hard way!!! Its the main hunting rifle I have used and just burned up the barrel and wanted to try something else. Have killed 5 moose 1 grizzly and countless deer with the 30/338!!!
As far as nothing better I'm in process of building a 300 norma now on a defiance hunter action in a hunting rifle and REALLY REALLY trying to get it all right!!!

You are absolutely correct, but if the action was designed for some other cartridge It can be difficult to tune it and normally takes someone that is a good Smith and has experience with adjusting the follower and rails. The center feed box is easier and 100 % dependable when adjusted correctly, And the main advantage is no bullet tip deformation from hitting anything on chambering. This is one of the many reasons that bullet designers now use polymer for the tips and avoid the lead tip. others protect the tip with the jacket. (Like the protected point Swift).

When possible I would recommend the owner to find a donor that was originally chambered in a short mag and then it will be a simple barrel change most of the time.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the help...I am not a smith and just didn't do enuff research before moving forward. At this point I'm leaning toward going back to their original chamberings and maybe just build a couple other rifles with correct parts. I just hate to screw these 2 up as they have been my main hunting rifles my entire life and am now am64 years young!!!

K there is a gunsmith in the state below you who can re-cut the bbl to 8mm/338 and now you have an improved round and ther are many good 8mm bullets now.. it will give you about 200 lbs of extra energy and the 195 bullets will fly the same as the 180 in the 30.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.