WSM short mag feeding issues

Kirk Kilgore

I have 2 custom magnum mauser action rifles...1 was chambered in a wildcat 30/338 a d the other in a wildcat 6.5/257 wetherbyy. I rebarreleb both to the 300wsm and the other to the6.5 wsm. Now neither of these rifles will feed correctly at all. Does anyone have any ideas on how can I correct these issues and if so a Smith who can help?? Both are my 2 favorite hunting rifles. Thanks for any help!!

I have 2 custom magnum mauser action rifles...1 was chambered in a wildcat 30/338 a d the other in a wildcat 6.5/257 wetherbyy. I rebarreleb both to the 300wsm and the other to the6.5 wsm. Now neither of these rifles will feed correctly at all. Does anyone have any ideas on how can I correct these issues and if so a Smith who can help?? Both are my 2 favorite hunting rifles. Thanks for any help!!
Center feed magazine.

Can you explain a bit more about the issue so we can better understand what is happening

Can you explain a bit more about the issue so we can better understand what is happening
When I switched to the shorter wider cartridge neither one seems to pop up correctly and they both jam. I have been told I need a straight magazine feed which I did in the 300 wsm....and it feeds better now but have to deal with the mag sticking down. I much prefer the bdl type in my hunting rifles. Also both are obviously long actions

When I switched to the shorter wider cartridge neither one seems to pop up correctly and they both jam. I have been told I need a straight magazine feed which I did in the 300 wsm....and it feeds better now but have to deal with the mag sticking down. I much prefer the bdl type in my hunting rifles. Also both are obviously long actions
Do you have an extended length box such as Wyatt's box?

You kinda have a mess, you need to find a smith that is well versed on those actions and feeding, your probably looking for an old school smith, I've tuned a lot of actions to feed WSM's but that's in another class, I've seen 98's done before and it's not amateur hobby gunsmith stuff tuning the feed cycle!

You kinda have a mess, you need to find a smith that is well versed on those actions and feeding, your probably looking for an old school smith, I've tuned a lot of actions to feed WSM's but that's in another class, I've seen 98's done before and it's not amateur hobby gunsmith stuff tuning the feed cycle!
Would it be better and cheaper

What bigngreen said.

The feeding problem with the short magnums is caused by the stagger feed system.

The center feed mag box controls each round and only allows one round at a time to inter the action. I use the metal center feed mag so I can tune it. (Bend the lips in or out to control the round and make it inter the chamber dead center before the mag releases it) it also doesn't allow the round to pop out before the extractor in engaged in control feed actions on the case head.

You also sometimes need to reduce the amount of feed rails by grinding so the center feed box can be correctly located.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
There are plenty of stagger feed actions that reliably feed WSM's, you just have to have the correct box and follower geometry so the case sits in the correct relationship with the feed lips and ramp then it will hold and release in the correct timing. I've tuned other action just not the 98 and each has it's unique qualities

Bottom line, I'd scrap the project and go back to standard magnum rounds. Expensive but so goes life...Ideal world, someone would of checked the rounds coming up from the box before this got too far.

I'm fan of the Mauser action, but not with short fats of any kind stuck in them. Worst feeding Mauser I've seen to date was barreled for 6/284. It made for a great single shot:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.