WSM questions????

long range dogr

Long story short,i'm wanting to build a new hunting rifle this year.I already have a 300wsm that weighs about 18 pounds.So i'm gonna go a little lighter for this build.And i'm wanting to build a 7mmWSM.

My question is, Are all wsm boltfaces the same? The reason i ask is because i can pick up a 270wsm Remington very cheap from a local pawn shop.I'm just wanting to use the action as a donor.

So will this work? Or will i need to buy one with the already corect chambering?

Thanks in advance fellas.I'm sorry if this topic has been covered already.

My 7wsm is built off a long action so it feeds the longer, high bc bullets smoothly. As far as bolt face they should all be the same .

If you want to save a couple of bucks, check to see if Savage has one chambered in 7wsm. A little added work from a gunsmith and you will have a rifle that will compete with my full custom for alot less money. You also might want to check into the 7-300wsm. Rather easy to reload for and you have the benefit of better brass.

Brent

Last edited:
Long story short,i'm wanting to build a new hunting rifle this year.I already have a 300wsm that weighs about 18 pounds.So i'm gonna go a little lighter for this build.And i'm wanting to build a 7mmWSM.

My question is, Are all wsm boltfaces the same? The reason i ask is because i can pick up a 270wsm Remington very cheap from a local pawn shop.I'm just wanting to use the action as a donor.

So will this work? Or will i need to buy one with the already corect chambering?

Yes it is the same bolt face as the other WSMs the only difference in the WSM besides calibres
is that the 7 WSM case is longer than all other WSMs giving it a little more case capacity.

It is my favorite WSM cartrige. and works well in a short action.

The 7 WSM is not as easy to find factory ammo for but if you reload they have a large selection
of bullet types and weights.

J E CUSTOM

+1 Savage WSM action. The donor I have/had(until stolen by a Canadian gs) is the best action I've seen to date. I would even choose it over my BAT's -for WSM.

Proper WSM actions depart from the norm, and I don't know that Remington knows enough about basic design to build one right.

Pick up a Savage in any WSM, and toss all but the action/accutrigger.
Note that it is not a short action, and it uses their largest barrel threading. It is also CRPF with standing blade ejection.

Yes, same size bolt face. Stick with your Rem donor action plan and youll have a smooth rig.

Guys can you stick with the staggered feed with the wsm? When I built my first one on a short action with a center feed clip we had all sorts of feeding problems with the longer bullets. Granted there wasn't many options for bottom metal at the time. I am guessing the wyatts helped out alot. I sure would like to know my options since I am contemplating on a light carry built in the wsm.

Thanks

Brent

Guys can you stick with the staggered feed with the wsm? When I built my first one on a short action with a center feed clip we had all sorts of feeding problems with the longer bullets. Granted there wasn't many options for bottom metal at the time. I am guessing the wyatts helped out alot. I sure would like to know my options since I am contemplating on a light carry built in the wsm.

Thanks

Brent

Yes the staggered mag will work but it is finicky and won't normally hold more than 2 rounds
without popping out during loading.

The center feed works great with a flat bottom bullet follower and can be tuned.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the reply's fellas!

I had originally planned on building this on a savage platform.But i got a smoking deal on a manners T2 stock thats inletted for a remmi short action.

Thanks

Brent

I hold 3+1 in my Model-70, 270wsm. Feeds long bullets fine. My dads is the same. However the Model-70 with the controlled round push feed (w/o extractor claw) sometimes requires you to push the bolt half way then pushing it again when loading longer bullets. I think it has something to do with ligning up the rim of the case with the plunger extractor while it comes up from the stagered mag. Kind of a steep angle till it ''popps up''. I dont know if this was a ''in general question'' dealing with stagered bottom metal, or strictly for the Savage guys.

Yeah I should of elaborated with the push feed. The control feed you shouldn't have an issue. Thanks for the info.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.