WS2 (Danzac) Bullet Coating

Jud96

I've recently been doing some research on bullet coatings. I've never had any experience or interest in them until now so I don't know much about them. I know moly seems to have more cons than pros, but I don't see much on WS2. I've seen people use HBN on here and other places, but again I don't hear much on WS2. It seems like it doesn't have any negatives from what I can find. If anyone could share their opinions on WS2 or their experiences with it I'd really be interested to learn more about this topic. Thanks

Read this.....

Sierra used to sell 30 caliber match bullets 1000 per box at rifle matches. They were not cleaned nor polished and still had the lanolin based sizing lubricant on them. Tested in the ones and twos at short range. Shot more accurate at mid and long range than those packaged 100 per green boxes for retailers.

Forget the term: DANZAC (there is no such thing). WS2 is Tungsten Disulfide.
I've been using it for ~35yrs.
There are no cons with it

There are 4 benefits to it's use:
1. Reduced copper fouling
2. WS2 barrel pre-fouling universally matches powder fouling
3. It cleans right out with standard approaches
4. It does not affect muzzle velocity over uncoated conditions

You can mix with water and apply, or dry burnish.

Forget the term: DANZAC (there is no such thing). WS2 is Tungsten Disulfide.
I've been using it for ~35yrs.
There are no cons with it

There are 4 benefits to it's use:
1. Reduced copper fouling
2. WS2 barrel pre-fouling universally matches powder fouling
3. It cleans right out with standard approaches
4. It does not affect muzzle velocity over uncoated conditions

You can mix with water and apply, or dry burnish.
I have read that when WS2 mixes with water it can damage barrels.

Last edited:
This was said of moly due to sulfur content. And that was never true with firearms application.
While I haven't done it, there are plenty of folks successful with wet method coating. Either way is fine.

This was said of moly due to sulfur content. And that was never true with firearms application.
While I haven't done it, there are plenty of folks successful with wet method coating. Either way is fine.
I read that WS2 contains sulfur as well. I just don't want to use something that could be harmful to my barrel if exposed to moisture when hunting.

(1)Tungsten (2) Sulfur atoms
With my own personal experience, I haven't had a problem though.
This is significant in that I'm somewhat OCD about cleanliness. It was beat into me (literally) as a kid, to always put guns away cleaner than they were pulled. So to this day I do full teardown and cleaning after every use, even If I shot only once, or didn't shoot but had it in the field with adverse conditions(snow, rain, dusty). I confirm barrel cleaning with a borescope. I clean my concealed carry guns once a month, looking carefully for corrosion, which can follow lack of use.
Every gun I have & have ever had is cleaner than brand new.

In this regard, the top 3 WS2 benefits I mentioned are a blessing for me.
But, that is me. And I can't say, because I don't know, that any of the coatings we use are of protection -or detriment, while exposed to harsh conditions for long stretches without cleaning/replacement.
If there actually are corrosion issues here with firearms applications, it doesn't affect me, but it would be interesting.
Should be considered for many I'm sure.

I coat my bullets, and dry pre-foul my barrels. That's the conditions I put em away in. Ready for next use, whether hours or years from then.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.