Wrinkly Brass???

bblaine2k

Wrinkly brass, that's the only way I can describe it and no idea of how it happens. I reloaded some 30-06 ammo recently using Remington brass (which may be the reason there depending on who you ask) and when I fired it it seems to be fine with no pressure signs. However on one side of the case about 1/4 inch above the base one side is bulged while the other side is smooth. I thought it might be due to an un-square die but I remedied that and still get the same result. Any ideas of what's going on?

i had some federal 308 gold medal brass that came from a police dept that had the same thing--kind of looks crackled like a fire cracked bore under magnification--i had no problems either, but it was interesting to look at.

JB

If the case is bulged, you can feel/see a lump/bulge, the chamber is pooched. Get a chamber cast made and I think you will see that there is a bulge in the chamber.

If this case bulge is removed during FL sizing, in time that portion of the brass could weaken and crack leading to a case separation.

Only solution is to rechamber/rebarrel if this concerns you. Very rare in modern rifles, but common in WW surplus bolt guns.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks! I hope it isn't so but I may have to have my smith look at it. I just had him cut and re-crown the thing as well as glass bed and adjust the trigger. It's an heirloom of a rifle - a Win. 70 XTR that's been around for years. Not a LR rig but one that I would like to keep hunting with.

Thanks for the input and the suggestions

The other thing that will offset the brass is when one lug in the reciever is higher than the other. When employing a hot load the bolt will shift to one side offsetting the brass. My Ruger which actually shoots great does it. The chamber is huge and it only hits on one lug but it shoots so good I don't dare mess with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.