WOW! Did you guys see this...

we have seen this and my wife said they the DesMoines Register was really getting it on their facebook page. I don't do the FB thing so have not seen it first hand.

Yeah, what is with this paper printing garbage like this???

Jeff

So if that actually happened even 1 time wouldn't it place that guy and that paper on the hook as accessories to murder?

No.

The First Amendment protects them from accountability for yelling "Fire" in a theater. An even handed legal system exists only in our minds. Really, isn't that what Power is all about, to exercise you will without accountability.

It's a bold new world.

No.

The First Amendment protects them from accountability for yelling "Fire" in a theater. An even handed legal system exists only in our minds. Really, isn't that what Power is all about, to exercise you will without accountability.

It's a bold new world.

I'm going to stretch this a bit.

So if this writer, and paper got what they wanted then wouldn't the 1st be void by proxy of the 2nd going by the way side? After all the 2nd is the teeth for all the rest.

Just thinkin outloud sorta speak

Joe, Yes, I believe the 1st amendment would be void as you described, and if it wasn't it very soon would be eliminated without the threat of firearms to protect it IMHO.

Joe

I'm going to stretch this a bit.

So if this writer, and paper got what they wanted then wouldn't the 1st be void by proxy of the 2nd going by the way side? After all the 2nd is the teeth for all the rest.

Just thinkin outloud sorta speak

Yes and no.

Yes: The 1st and probably others won't mean anything other than what your told they mean.

No: The 2nd won't go away. It will simply be interpreted and ruled upon by the courts, any way that fits the circumstances that exist. Why abolish something you might need later? Can you envision an armed militia fighting against radical right winged nuts who are defending a "misinterpreted and outdated" Constitution? Now your an Enemy of the State... that is unless you conform.

Sounds crazy I know. Crazy enough to mirror real events.

If a conservative wrote a column with this venom it would be on 60 Minutes, and pasted on every paper, Tv, and radio station across the country, and the paper that allowed it would be run out of business for incompetance. Lets see what they do with this moronic columnist and newspaper. I'll bet that except for Fox, nothing. We now have a biased media in our country. We clearly saw this in the election, Benghazi, etc,etc. This was one of the concerns of the Founders; essentially the breakdown of the 1st Amendment's intention, that induced them to create the Second Amendment. Everyone thinks that free speech was the First Amendments singular intent. It was also intended to make sure that all viewpoints, including the government's, were objectively, and in an unbiased fashion, presented to the populace by the media. Not only ironic, but brilliant!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.