Wow…just wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy kept the receipt because of other gear he had on the same purchase but he picked these up for me on Saturday at Sportsman's Warehouse in Sheridan Wy.
They were $43.99 each

It was one pound limits but he whined to the manager about being from the other side of the mountain. I reload for him and he has a list of all the powders want.
615DB455-16BC-42BD-B35E-CDDBB3A391B3.jpeg

What are you loading with Staball 6.5?
I got it for a 6mm Competition Match I'm building, 7mm-08A.I.'s and 22/243 A.I. (I hope)
I usually run Varget in my .308 based cartridges
But I was down to a half pound and just traded for another pound

Watched a few reviews on it for the 7mm-08 and we will see if it works.
It's supposed to work good for Absolute Hammers in the 7mm-08 A.I. too and I plan on using them

It gave better velocity (50 FPS) in my 338 Sherman than H4350 did. Didn't test for any accuracy just pressure. Maybe I'll give it some more work.

It gave better velocity (50 FPS) in my 338 Sherman than H4350 did. Didn't test for any accuracy just pressure. Maybe I'll give it some more work.
I don't have any experience with it yet,
And it will be a few weeks before I can
Work is picking up again and I'm moving

Gouging....... the concept with no definition other than "charging more than I think I should have to pay" and its corollary "I'm mad at the other guy who actually paid that". (And maybe a little bit of "I'm irritated with myself for not having a plan")

When there is a shortage prices go up. When there is an increase in demand prices go up.

Econ 101 folks.

So back to this gouging thing......
  • If I sell my truck that was worth $12K last year for $18K this year to a willing buyer is that gouging? Just like our reloading stuff, trucks are in short supply. Does it matter what I paid for the truck or what I owe on the truck or what it was worth last year? Do I owe anything to the guy who was interested last year at $12K (but didn't buy) and is now willing to pay $14K when I have a buyer at $18K?
  • How about my house?
  • My AR15?
  • A Glock?
Why are ammo and reloading components any different? Reality is the market clearing price right now is higher than you or I may be willing to pay, so we take a pass. That's part of the correction mechanism of prices.

Gun prices have fallen relative to a year ago. Why? Rise in supply and falloff of demand. Prices used to be above retail because enough people were willing to pay it, and now they are drifting below retail. High prices cured the problem. Was that gouging? I surely wasn't a buyer at those prices. Likely most of you weren't either. But obviously there were a bunch of folks who were willing to pay it at that time.

Commodity ammo prices are coming down - why? Fall off in demand at least in part due to high prices. 9mm ball was $550 a case or so just a few months back - if it was in stock. Now I can buy it for just over $300 a case and it's in stock. High prices cured the problem. Hasn't happened with 6.5 PRC yet but it will.

High prices are what ration a scarce product to the people who need or want it most. The rest of us say no thanks and wait.

Last edited:
Gouging....... the concept with no definition other than "charging more than I think I should have to pay" and its corollary "I'm mad at the other guy who actually paid that". (And maybe a little bit of "I'm irritated with myself for not having a plan")

When there is a shortage prices go up. When there is an increase in demand prices go up.

Econ 101 folks.

So back to this gouging thing......
  • If I sell my truck that was worth $12K last year for $18K this year to a willing buyer is that gouging? Just like our reloading stuff, trucks are in short supply. Does it matter what I paid for the truck or what I owe on the truck or what it was worth last year? Do I owe anything to the guy who was interested last year at $12K (but didn't buy) and is now willing to pay $14K when I have a buyer at $18K?
  • How about my house?
  • My AR15?
  • A Glock?
Why are ammo and reloading components any different? Reality is the market clearing price is higher than you or I may be willing to pay, so we take a pass. That's part of the correction mechanism of prices.

Gun prices have fallen relative to a year ago. Why? Rise in supply and falloff of demand. Prices used to be above retail because enough people were willing to pay it, and now they are drifting below retail. High prices cured the problem. Was that gouging? I surely wasn't a buyer at those prices. Likely most of you weren't either. But obviously there were a bunch of folks who were willing to pay it at that time.

Commodity ammo prices are coming down - why? Fall off in demand at least in part due to high prices. 9mm ball was $550 a case or so just a few months back - if it was in stock. Now I can buy it for just over $300 a case and it's in stock. High prices cured the problem. Hasn't happened with 6.5 PRC yet but it will.

High prices are what ration a scarce product to the people who need it most. The rest of us say no thanks and wait.
This. I'm out.

On the cost of materials question - just in case people were wondering, here are some 5 year price charts for commodities used in bullets and brass - copper, zinc, and lead

All were flat or falling from 2017 until April 2020. Since April 2020, copper and zinc basically doubled, lead is up 50% and almost back to prior 5-year peaks, and zinc is also back to it's 5 year high levels. Note that brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Gilding metal is also an alloy of copper and zinc (mostly copper).

So yeah, some of it at least is due to rising commodity prices.

Checked wages lately? They're up too - a lot for the factory workers.

I could see bullet and brass prices nearly doubling over the past two years just because of increased material and labor costs.

1643078615479.png

1643078695180.png

1643078784403.png

Last edited:
On the cost of materials question - just in case people were wondering, here are some 5 year price charts for commodities used in bullets and brass - copper, zinc, and lead

All were flat or falling from 2017 until April 2020. Since April 2017, copper and zinc basically doubled, lead is up 50% and almost back to prior 5-year peaks, and zinc is also back to it's 5 year high levels. Note that brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Gilding metal is also an alloy of copper and zinc (mostly copper).

I could see bullet and brass prices nearly doubling over the past two years just because of increased material and
So, what you are saying is that ALL those stores that sell powders UNDER $45/lb are stupid and doing it at a loss and whe should be happy to pay $80/lb?
Yes prices are up, costs are up, but not everything is more than doubled!
Just curious, what is your line of business?
Like I said before, any business has the right to sell at any price (some small exceptions), and any customer has the right to buy, walk away, boycot and complaint!

Jimmy Christmas. We get supply and demand folks. I'm as American as the next , I don't blame a business man but people also don't forget the a holes. Enough said, you wanna go at it so much yall need to redirect. It's not who wants to pay 51.99 vs 69.99 and you all know it.

All were flat or falling from 2017 until April 2020. Since April 2017, copper and zinc basically doubled, lead is up 50% and almost back to prior 5-year peaks, and zinc is also back to it's 5 year high levels. Note that brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Gilding metal is also an alloy of copper and zinc (mostly copper).

I could see bullet and brass prices nearly doubling over the past two years just because of increased material and labor costs.

View attachment 334200

View attachment 334201

View attachment 334202
Those all appear to be very accurate but we were discussing the increase in the cost of powders which would not be affected by the prices of those commodities.

Status
Not open for further replies.