Wow…just wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never criticize anyone in business for selling something for what they can. I however, make a mental note, and may I add my memory on things like this is like an elephant's, and I will never buy from a business with preditory practices. I always vote with my wallet!!!!

People are always quick to blame the retailer for price gouging. But, they never look at the Wholesaler's that supply the Retailer's.
I've seen some invoices of what a couple of my local places are having to pay just to have the product on the shelf. They are getting screwed just as bad as we are.
I called out one of the local places that I've dealt with for several decades over primer prices. The owner showed me his invoice. He was only making $7 per 1k on those primer's. He said the Wholesaler's were raping everyone in order to get anything.

The Retailer's are at the mercy of the Wholesaler's if they want to have the product on their shelves.

People are always quick to blame the retailer for price gouging. But, they never look at the Wholesaler's that supply the Retailer's.
I've seen some invoices of what a couple of my local places are having to pay just to have the product on the shelf. They are getting screwed just as bad as we are.
I called out one of the local places that I've dealt with for several decades over primer prices. The owner showed me his invoice. He was only making $7 per 1k on those primer's. He said the Wholesaler's were raping everyone in order to get anything.

The Retailer's are at the mercy of the Wholesaler's if they want to have the product on their shelves.
If he can sell it for twice the current going price, more power to him. When my LGS raised prices I did not complaint because it was within the normal "current" environment and the cost of doing business. But I have been through enough market upheavals to know when to walk away and make my mental notes. That is me. I don't expect you to do the same. It is the beauty of a free market. Free to sell at a price you want,,,,I am free to buy...or or boycot!
For me this thread is run its course....time to unwatch

Last edited:
I just got done talking with my son in law who, after a lot of searching, just found 4 boxes of 6.5 PRC cartridges on the shelf. Some guy had just grabbed 4 boxes right before him and my SIL got the last 4, or so he thought. He ended up talking to the guy who got the 4 boxes before him who told him he drives around to different sporting goods stores all day, buying up all the 6.5 PRC he can find and re-selling online for twice the $50/box the store was selling it for. The store limits purchases to 4 boxes so this guy takes all of it off the shelf and hides it around the store then goes out to his truck, changes clothes each time he comes back in to buy another 4 boxes. I can think of a good use for one well-placed 6.5 PRC round...
Holy cow that is inventive I dislike what he is doing but absolutely have to applaud his initiative.

Second time I have seen this unicorn dust on a shelf. Can't believe it has come to this. I about came jumped through the roof until I saw that itty, bitty little orange tag.

View attachment 333321View attachment 333322
I'm awful glad I stocked up on both RL26 and RL33 when I could still find them for 28.00lb or 8lbs jugs for 200.00.

At least it's starting to hit shelves again though!

I bought an 8# jug of Ramshot Tac for $275 today along with 2000 #41 primers @$100/k. Insane? I thought so but maybe not.

I bought an 8# jug of Ramshot Tac for $275 today along with 2000 #41 primers @$100/k. Insane? I thought so but maybe not.
If you want to shoot then it's a good purchase. If you want to wait for prices to come back normal...........then don't shoot😀

With powder at ~$60 per pound and primers ~$100, it cost me a couple hundred dollars more a year to shoot whenever I want. I probably only shoot about ~1000 rounds per year between a few rifles. "It's the gas prices to go shoot that are killing me"🤬

I'm going to say some things here that some people won't like.

The cure for high prices is......high prices.

A certain percentage of folks on this thread saw the price sticker and said "no way I won't buy for that price!" That's exactly what we need here. Prices high enough to get people to flinch and not buy. Inventory sitting on the shelf (not selling) with a high price sticker is evidence that things are starting to turn the corner. High prices curb demand.

When your retailer has to pay too much from his supplier and then has to price too high for the market and gets stuck with inventory he paid too much for, he isn't going to be any more excited about his supplier than a lot of you guys are about your retailer.

If a retailer could keep prices at prior levels given today's demand, we all know what would happen - gone in an instant - mostly bought like the guy at Sportsman's buying 4 boxes repeatedly, only to be resold at.....higher prices.

The market is not to be manipulated or negotiated with. It is what it is. Denial, anger, frustration, and complaining don't change reality.

Prices are the ultimate rationing mechanism. Pretty much nothing else works.

Here's another thing that makes me roll my eyes. If you are more than about 35 years old and are short on components let me introduce you to the individual that is responsible for your problem. He's in the mirror.

We have seen this movie before. We will see it again. When stuff is cheap and plentiful people forget and act like it will always be available. Extra money goes to dinner out and vacations, etc. Lay some stuff up people! And not just reloading components. What is your food, water, fuel, cash, medicine, etc storage? I can see a young guy making this mistake but you don't have to be around all that long to see this cycle repeat.

Finally, as a guy who used to work in manufacturing, there is this misconception that somewhere someone just needs to turn a knob or throw a switch or add another shift and more production will occur. Making these components is an intricate process, and the plants are capital intensive and they already run round the clock. Building new plants is not measured in months of leadtime. It takes years to build a new line, and then you still have the problem of reliable sourcing raw materials for that line.

But we cry: "supply manipulation/new shooters/hoarders/Democrats/government interference/regulations/imports/lack of imports/COVID/supply chain interruptions/inflation/price manipulation/raw metals prices/the Chinese/The Russians/Internet Bots/the d-bag buying too many!!!!!"

Yeah all that and more. Prices sort all that out and more over time.

Last edited:
I'm going to say some things here that some people won't like.

The cure for high prices is......high prices.

A certain percentage of folks on this thread saw the price sticker and said "no way I won't buy for that price!" That's exactly what we need here. Prices high enough to get people to flinch and not buy. Inventory sitting on the shelf (not selling) with a high price sticker is evidence that things are starting to turn the corner. High prices curb demand.

When your retailer has to pay too much from his supplier and then has to price too high for the market and gets stuck with inventory he paid too much for, he isn't going to be any more excited about his supplier than a lot of you guys are about your retailer.

If a retailer could keep prices at prior levels given today's demand, we all know what would happen - gone in an instant - mostly bought like the guy at Sportsman's buying 4 boxes repeatedly, only to be resold at.....higher prices.

The market is not to be manipulated or negotiated with. It is what it is. Denial, anger, frustration, and complaining don't change reality.

Prices are the ultimate rationing mechanism. Pretty much nothing else works.

Here's another thing that makes me roll my eyes. If you are more than about 35 years old and are short on components let me introduce you to the individual that is responsible for your problem. He's in the mirror.

We have seen this movie before. We will see it again. When stuff is cheap and plentiful people forget and act like it will always be available. Extra money goes to dinner out and vacations, etc. Lay some stuff up people! And not just reloading components. What is your food, water, fuel, cash, medicine, etc storage? I can see a young guy making this mistake but you don't have to be around all that long to see this cycle repeat.

Finally, as a guy who used to work in manufacturing, there is this misconception that somewhere someone just needs to turn a knob or throw a switch or add another shift and more production will occur. Making these components is an intricate process, and the plants are capital intensive and they already run round the clock. Building new plants is not measured in months of leadtime. It takes years to build a new line, and then you still have the problem of reliable sourcing raw materials for that line.

But we cry: "supply manipulation/new shooters/hoarders/Democrats/government interference/regulations/imports/lack of imports/COVID/supply chain interruptions/inflation/price manipulation/raw metals prices/the Chinese/The Russians/Internet Bots/the d-bag buying too many!!!!!"

Yeah all that and more. Prices sort all that out and more over time.
Wholesalers are probably paying more for delivery due to rising fuel prices but we really have no idea what they are paying per lbs nor what their markup is. Big retailers like Cabela's don't have to go through wholesalers, they can buy direct and have just huge buying power to negotiate prices.

Mom and pop stores are literally at the mercy of the wholesalers who may very well be gouging them.

Unfortunately shortages often lead to price gouging and that's the more likely answer. The components, machines, labor costs etc that go into producing these powders haven't increased in cost that I know of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.