Would you use it?

G

Hello All,

Lets say you could buy a 30 caliber 160gr bullet with a BC of .550 and gain 200 FPS over what you would get in a "typical" bullet. Lets say this bullets holds up well when you shoot a deer, elk, moose or similar animal and provides an exit hole every time. Lets say the bullet copper fouls a lot less then a "typical" jacketed bullet. Lets say this bullet provides for 1/2 MOA accuracy.

Would you buy and use such a bullet? For hunting? For target?

Don
smile.gif

Texas,

Its been in the works now for about a year. I have designed a bullet that has several advantages over "conventional" bullet designs. After testing my design on both paper and more recently on a hog hunt I went on, the bullets have proven to work as designed.

I will have them available to the public in a few weeks. I am just now completing the finishing touches on my web site.

We used a 257 Roberts, 7mm mag and 300 win mag to kill 5 different hogs using my bullets. All where complete pass throughs.

I will keep all informaed when the site opens up.

Don
smile.gif

I'll keep waiting but, you know most are going to want a 338 cal also
wink.gif
. Drop me an e-mail you get more settled in.

Shaky,

Sounds like you know where the Holy Grail is too? Just kidding...

I hope your venture does turn out. Always nice to see some new innovations. Big problem is that Barnes and other majors are coming out with bullets that claim similar things. Cost and availability is going to be a big factor in success.

I am sure you have done your market research, so look forward to your release.

Jerry

Sounds good! If it has a BC of .550, a 160 ought to go about 3500 fps in my 300 Ultra and have a better BC than the 180's I've been using to top it off. I'm ready!
smile.gif
Any plans of a heavier one with even a higher BC yet?

I've been reading about Powell River Laboratories Tungsten core bullets too and they "sound" pretty cool.

Texas,

I already have a 206gr 338 caliber bullet in the works and will be adding it to the line up as soon as all testing is complete.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Brent,

I don't have any numbers for a 300 RUM using my 159gr EXP bullet. I can tell you what was obtained with a 300 win mag - 3400 FPS.

After loading the 300 win mag with 79gr of Reloader 22 we saw no pressure signs at all and a .374" group was shot at 100 yards.

DANTEC,

I am not sure what caliber bullet you are refering to with the HV.

I can tell you this, you can easily get close to the lands with my bullet. Are you able to get close to the lands with the bullet you are using?

Most bullets shoot well when they are seated close to the lands, not always, but most of the time.

The 2 designs are totally different. I used a different methodology in designing the EXP bullet.

Boyd,

As soon as I have them available, I will let you know. What caliber are you interested in?

Have a good one all,

Don
smile.gif

Boyd,

I already have a 7mm and 30 cal bullet.

The 7mm is 127gr and the 30 cal is 159gr.

With minimal load develoment we were able to obtain 3/8" groups with the 300 win mag. Actually, we only tried two different loads.

Here is the data:

300 win mag
159gr EXP Groove Bullet
79gr of Reloader 22
CCI-BR2 Primer
Norma Case
3.505" OAL - .015 off the lands
3 shot group at 100 yards = .374" (Dave shot)
Average velocity = 3401 FPS
1 in 12 twist barrel

7mm mag
127gr EXP Groove Bullet
74gr of Reloader 22
CCI-BR2 Primer
Win Case
3.355 OAL - .015 off the lands
3 shot group at 100 yards = .635"
Average velocity = 3450 FPS
24" barrel, 1 in 10 twist

I shot the 7mm mag for group and I was shaking pretty good that day. I should of had Dave shoot it. I am sure he would of been under the 1/2" mark.

Both cases are full of powder and no pressure signs at all. We are going to go to a hotter powder and see what kind of velocities we obtain while maintaining accuracy.

Are you looking for a hunting bullet or a benchrest bullet?

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Do both the Target and Hunting bullet have the same BC in the 160 30 cal?

Let me know when I can get a box and I'll give them a try.
smile.gif

Texas,

I was reading it in The Highpower Shooting Primer published by Precision Shooting Inc pg. 298-302. How does a 268gr 30 cal with a BC of .910 sound.
shocked.gif
Can you say let's play with the 50 BMG guys! Only thing out there that will beat them is the 50 and maybe the 408 CT.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.