Would You Leave The Spotting Scope Behind?

Im heading out in a few days to hunt mule deer in the Oregon high desert. The terrain is big rolling hills and deep draws sparsely covered with sage and juniper. Shots will be 300 yards + and I can potentially spot out to a mile or more. There is no vehicle access so I can expect to walk 5-10 miles per day. Based on the choice of optics I have available would I be better off lightening my load and leaving the spotting scope and tripod in the truck. This is what I have:

Burris Landmark 15-45x60 spotting scope

Burris Landmark Spotting Scope 15-45x 60mm Black Micro-Adjust Tripod

Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x50 rifle scope

Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x50 PA Mil Dot

Leupold Gold Ring HD 10x42 binoculars

Leupold Golden Ring HD Binocular 10x 42mm Roof Prism Brown

Leupold Katmai green ring 10x32 binoculars

Leupold Green Ring Katmai 10x32mm Compact Binoculars - Black Finish 56430 |

I assume the scope is on your rifle so that is going. The 10x42 binos would go and I would take your scope. I think you would do well by sitting in one spot for a while and checking out the terrain with the spotter. Mule deer can blend in pretty well and stay put if not spooked. You might just find an old buck that way. Rangefinder?

Good luck on a great hunt

I assume the scope is on your rifle so that is going. The 10x42 binos would go and I would take your scope. I think you would do well by sitting in one spot for a while and checking out the terrain with the spotter. Mule deer can blend in pretty well and stay put if not spooked. You might just find an old buck that way. Rangefinder?

Good luck on a great hunt

Absolutly spot on good advise. Before you leave, go outside and take this test.
First look at your watch and note the time. Then hold up your glasses as if you are
on your hunt glassing. when your arms get weary enough that your no longer doing
well, check how long it took. You are now just using your eyes and not glassing, also
meaning your not hunting very well. Id even be looking for a tripod adaptor for the
10x42s and use the tripod for those also. Or a good folding walking stick with the top
having the threaded part for attachments.

I've used a short light tripod, just tall enough when sitting. Little extra work carrying in, but a lot more effective when glassing.

I'd take the spotting scope if young and/or in good physical shape, and I was going to be picky about which set of antlers I was after.

If any decent legal mule deer was sufficient, I'd take a light set of binoculars and leave the heavier spotting scope behind. One can see a lot with a decent set of binoculars. If you need to see finer detail, the spotting scope would help at the cost of bulk and weight. If your 20 power Vortex scope is clear at 20 power, use it to see the finer detail.

When you are hiking in or out you will wish you had left it behind

When you are glossing you will wish you had it.

Depends on a lot.of.things. your physical condition, your style of hunting, the distance you really plan to shoot. Will you glass most of.the.time.or spot.and.stalk.

No one.can answer these.questions.for you.

With a spotting scope it's the necessary tripod that kills you weight-wise. I've got a Leupold straight-tube 25x50 that weighs about 6 oz less than yours. I've got a Manfrotto tripod that weighs about 2 lbs and I keep looking for a better (lighter) alternative. I've spent several years hunting the Oregon high desert and personally I'd take the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.