Would there be an advantage?

CRNA

Just toying with the idea of trying out the Bergers in my 7RM. I am hesitant to change anything because I am quite pleased with how my gun shoots the 168g SMKs. I have used it for targets thus far, but I do plan on hunting whitetail and possibly black bear if the shot presents itself this fall. When I ran the 168 and 180s in both SMKs and Bergers on JBM there was a noticeable difference as far as ballistics are concerned. Are the Bergers worth the extra coin? Or should I just stick with the winning horse?

If what you are using is working and will do what you need it to I wouldn't start over. Spend the time and components on practice not doing load development.

Just toying with the idea of trying out the Bergers in my 7RM. I am hesitant to change anything because I am quite pleased with how my gun shoots the 168g SMKs. I have used it for targets thus far, but I do plan on hunting whitetail and possibly black bear if the shot presents itself this fall. When I ran the 168 and 180s in both SMKs and Bergers on JBM there was a noticeable difference as far as ballistics are concerned. Are the Bergers worth the extra coin? Or should I just stick with the winning horse?

It never hurts to try a different bullet because different barrels like different bullets. But I wouldn't
spend a lot of time on then if you already have a good load unless they shoot as good as your
favorite load right out of the gate.

Don't be surprised if a "Better" bullet does not shot as well in your rifle. It just means that the barrel
doesn't like them.

J E CUSTOM

A little extra mass and slightly better BC can't hurt. But, what you have is pretty potent. So, I wouldn't invest too much in the 180s.

Well you guys have confirmed what I have been thinking. I have always been one to try to improve on everything n some way and sometimes it can be an aggravating trait. Just curious since I seem to have found the magic combination mighty quickly, which does NOT typically happen very often for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.