Would appreciate thoughts on "having it all" to 600 yards.

If I were to have one rifle for everything it would be a 7 rem mag. I've had several of them and for me, they "do it all" without beating me to death.

Hitsthemark,

It's fun thinking about rifles, calibres, ballistics, etc, endlessly with some apparent prerequisites in mind, i.e. most accurate, best barrel life and least recoiling calibre that will reliably kill elk out to 600yds and most of the replies make sense based on your requirements.

It's amazing, however, what really governs our choices and what really matters when it's time to put your money where your mouth is. Basically, a good deal which comes close, and sometimes not so close, to meeting our requirements usually does the trick. We like to think and play mind games with ourselves 'cause it's fun. But come across a Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag, with muzzle brake and there go the most accurate, best barrel life and least recoiling cartridge prerequisites out the door!! Well, the fact that you're not a fan of muzzle brakes didn't matter either!

A good deal is a good deal and it sounds like you got one. Bottom line is that we hate to do with one rifle what we could do with two, or more, rifles! Trouble is it's so much fun crapping on about the mythical all-round rifle that will do it all even though we secretly don't want to own it!! Happy hunting!
smile.gif

How true longreach how true!! I suspect that had I now bought the .308 first...I might not have bought the .338 second!!! Once the Savage answered that part of my need and the desire for "one rifle" was abolished.....the purchase of the .338 was easy!! The great deal on the BAR .338 suddenly filled the void for all hunts with large and\or dangerous game on the Continent. For all else, the .308! The duplicity of emotion.....deals......desire...and practicality are indeed a force! Still...I'm happy with my choices!!
wink.gif

The Savage is a .308. Never fired and with a brand new scope. This works out well since I already own a beautiful old (1969) Remington 760 Gamemaster pump in .308 that is 95% and a superb brush gun. The Savage will work for longer ranges and accept hotter loads. I will probably invest in a different scope for it however.

Well for my long shooting I use my 338 RUM.I also like my 300 Win Mag.I guess its all in what you want to shoot.

Hitsthemark,

With a .308 and .338, there's awfully little you can't do. The only situation I can think of is Africa where some countries have a legal minimum calibre for dangerous game and that's usually the .375 but other than that, you've got it well and truly covered.

My favourites are a .270 and a .375. Owned three .308s but finally opted for a flatter shooter with about the same power and simply had to have a .375 (two in fact) 'cause I did hunt Africa and also 'cause it's a .375 H&H!
smile.gif

.338 is great but you better you better make sure your BAR is legal where you hunting. I dont know about all states but in PA, as well as a few other states its unlawful to hunt with a semi.

Re: Would appreciate thoughts on \"having it all\" to 600 yards.

300saum and 300wsm Can and will handel elk out to 600yds. I have not taken elk at 600yds mind you but have taken a 6x6 bull at 575yds in 2004. I shoot rocks out to 600yds often during the off season.Have a blast doing that ,picking a spot and doping the wind and making my best shot. Love it. Outlaw

As usual, I'm late getting in this conversation but would state the following with regard to the original question. It seems to me that the only thing that fully qualifies to all the originally stated requirements is the .308. All of the magnum cartridges would seem to be ruled out based on recoil and barrel life as compared to the .308, or possibly the 30-06. But the 30-06 has to give up to the .308 in the accuracy department. But, when it gets down to killing power for elk at 600 yards I would have to refer to several other postings on this forum that clearly show the 300 Winchester Magnum good on elk out to more than 800 yards. And, the difference between the .308 and 300 Win Mag, both shooting a 180 gr. Nozler Accubond for example, is about 100 yards as I recall. You can check the books for an exact distance, but I believe you will find this distance close enough for this discussion. Therefore, if a 300 Win Mag is good out to 800 plus, the .308 should do about the same thing at 700 plus. I want to clearly confess that I'm not an experienced elk shooter, but I do OK with math. And, I have never subscribed to all the ft. lb. philosophy,because I have simply seen too much evidence to the contrary. Rather, I subscribe to bullet construction and placement, then, whatever velocity it takes to open that bullet at the range you intend to shoot (and the ability to get that bullet on target). This all assumes the bullet is also sufficient in weight and velocity to reach the vitals under the conditions which you shoot. But again, it seems to have been proven time and time again that the .300 Win Mag will do it way past 800, so just basically back up a hundred yards for the .308. I'm a big fan of the .308 because it is so pleasant to shoot. I used to beat myself up with a 300 Win mag but I don't think the trade offs are worth it...especially if you are only shooting out to 600. By the way, my 300 Win Mag was incredibly accurate but I got headaches when I shot all day...which I am prone to do at times. Anyway, very best luck with it all. Greg.

[ QUOTE ]
Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got an exceptionally accurate BAR 338 winMag - 1 MOA, I don't think it gets any better than that. With the BOSS break, the gun kicks less than my .243 - my petite nieces say it's my least kick gun (all the boys vote for my 50 BMGs and put the big BAR 2nd)
If I had to come up with one gun that really does what you're asking, the '06 is hard to beat and they can be had cheap. But because I don't believe in a one gun family I won't answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My vote, left hand 300 or 338 RUM in Savage or Remington. Lefties are really cheap - I think they over produced them. Drop your aversion to breaks (via electronic muffs), forget barrel life, get a 308 next year for that.
I'd jump on the BAR if it shoots good and is in excellent shape (and is a good buy). The 338 BAR is more fun than a barrel of revolvers:)
Get a .308 next year followed by a 338 RUM after that.

[ QUOTE ]
Hitsthemark ... But come across a Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag, with muzzle brake and there go the most accurate, best barrel life and least recoiling cartridge prerequisites out the door!! [image]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

YUP! Never seen a BAR break 2" at 100 yds with ANY reloads!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts