Would Appreciate some advice...308 vs. 300WSM

savage1756

Hi All,

I have an older model Savage Model 10 in .308 w/ a heavy Varmint barrel. I'm looking into replacing the "Tupperware" stock possible with a laminate or Bell& Carlson with an upgrade to a CDI magazine and possibly a brake. I know, .308's don't recoil that bad but its a long story.

As I've been researching all of this I keep thinking about the 300 WSM cartridge for accuracy and a better round to shoot 1000 yds. I know the .308 is capable of this. I may have the opportunity to hunt in Colorado in the future so I was adding that to the mix as well. In your opinions would you stick with the .308 or would you dive into changing barrels & bolt head and continue the other changes. One thing I'm not sure of is will I lose the box magazine if I go to 300WSM?

What I'd like is....ability to shoot target 1000 yds for fun not competition.
Future hunt in Sothern Colorado near Monte Vista

If you plan on hunting with it the 300 WSM is going to have way more power over the 308win. Sure the 308 can get you to 1000yards but it wont have too much steam behind it when it arrives.

The 300 wsm really belongs in a long action, a 300 wsm with a 215 Berger seated in the best position for accuracy and velocity fits very well in a Savage standard action! Which you'd need a wsm bolt face for and make sure your firing pin size is correct.then you can roll them out of a CDI with no length issues.

I've found that in a 300 WSM short action, the 230 OTM with it's shorter nose works very well when loaded with 7828ssc. 2700+ fps from a 24-26" barrel is easily attainable. I'd recommend a muzzle brake with this one though.

I have both and lots of other 30 caliber rifles.

The 300 WSM is one of my most accurate rifles. At this time beyond 300 yards, exceeded only by my 260 and 300 RUM bench rest.

Bigngreen is absolutely correct, the 300WSM would work well in Savage actions and better with long bullets than 'standard' short actions.

Unless you have a physical recoil limit, I would steer toward converting to the 300WSM. It will do what you want in a rifle capable of hunting and target/steel/rock pounding to 1000 and maybe beyond.

I'm fond of Bell & Carlson Medalists. I use the Weatherby profile but the Classic seems to be for Savage 110 but I don't know if that is the same as the 10.

I think for the money you will spend on the conversion, it may be better to leave it as is and purchase a Savage LRH in 300 WSM.

They are not very pretty to look at, but they sure can shoot. Also, comes with a break. Mine would shoot 7/16 to 1 1/16 groups at 300 yards depending on my level of focus for that day.

TOTALLY agree on box length. I have a Hart built 300 WSM on McMillan stock that is money all day long, BUT the length of the box prevents me from developing longer length bullets for hunting, e.g. TTSX etc. One at a time down the pipe is fine at the range, but for hunting, you need to go with a box full. Long Action is the way to go just like many 6.5-284 rifle builders have figured out.

Keep your308 and update it as you go,buy a used or new rifle in 300wsm and take it from there ,this mite be the easiest route may be not, or you could rebarrel a used rifle an save money, your the Boss,there's more then one way of lookin at it. The 308 May seem under powered now but it's really not,Remember they all thrive on powder some are easier to keep n board,good luck!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.