Would an AI chamber fix my problem

degreen

I have had issues with brass sticking in my 338 Lapua chamber. This occurs when it is below 40 degrees. I am wondering if an Ackley Improved chamber would fix the problem.

The first thing you need to do is determine why your brass is sticking. Then you can determine how to fix it.

If the issue is caused from your chamber having a poor finish or being sized incorrectly, changing it to an improved version could fix it providing the improved version was sized and finished correctly.

The first thing you need to do is determine why your brass is sticking. Then you can determine how to fix it.

If the issue is caused from your chamber having a poor finish or being sized incorrectly, changing it to an improved version could fix it providing the improved version was sized and finished correctly.

đź‘Ť

Good advice !!!
If a poor finish is not the problem, Back off on the load and full size your brass before you load it.

The 338 Lapua has a lot of body taper to minimize this on the battle field. Just because the brass is strong, you can't overload it without problems.:)

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Reamer used may not match the brass dimensions. If the chamber is too tight, then pre mature pressure signs will be the result.

I regularly shoot below 40degrees. Living in northern Canada, most of the shooting is at -20 to 50degrees F. Haven't had issues with brass sticking in cold weather, more on issues with overpressure. One of my 308s have a tight chamber and it gives problems in all weather condition, the *** old Remington chamber is "normal" and never has trouble handling ammo. Just trouble getting bullets on target

This ammo was loaded a couple years ago. It is loaded 1.3 grains under Bergers max. I didn't have any problems when zeroing at 80+ degrees.

I have had issues with brass sticking in my 338 Lapua chamber. This occurs when it is below 40 degrees. I am wondering if an Ackley Improved chamber would fix the problem.
This ammo was loaded a couple years ago. It is loaded 1.3 grains under Bergers max. I didn't have any problems when zeroing at 80+ degrees.
possibly over pressure due to cold weld with the older ammo

Another thing to check .

Measure the OD of a fired case neck and compare it to a loaded one. The loaded neck should measure .003 to .004 thousandths smaller than the fired neck. If not, then you have a tight neck and you will have to turn the necks to obtain the needed clearance.

J E CUSTOM

Another thing to check .

Measure the OD of a fired case neck and compare it to a loaded one. The loaded neck should measure .003 to .004 thousandths smaller than the fired neck. If not, then you have a tight neck and you will have to turn the necks to obtain the needed clearance.

J E CUSTOM
I will have to check this. I'm not sure how tight Savage makes their chambers. I believe Lapua brass have thicker neck brass.

I will have to check this. I'm not sure how tight Savage makes their chambers. I believe Lapua brass have thicker neck brass.
You stated this ammo worked in the rifle before with no issues if this is the case either your chamber is possibly gummed up with dried solvent or its is the cold weld on the old ammo you stated was loaded a couple years back this might possibly cause a pressure issue

You stated this ammo worked in the rifle before with no issues if this is the case either your chamber is possibly gummed up with dried solvent or its is the cold weld on the old ammo you stated was loaded a couple years back this might possibly cause a pressure issue
It may be a combination of both tight neck and cold weld. I am going to take it to my smith and have him scope the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.