worst mich rifle deer season

tc.mich

I haven"t seen anything but a button buck, in three days of hunting. Usually I have all my tags filled by the third day. After the first few it would slow down, how much slower can it get. I've decided I'm shooting whatever I see. I shot a squirrel in the head this morning with my 308, lot of squirrels to add up to a deer. I am going to take a box of shells and earplugs with me out in the woods and start killing until the 30th. I'm ****ed Is anyone elses season weird

my neighbor 4 or 500yards behind me had his best year ever i think the deer are done chasing and just sitting in one spot and that spot isn't here. i have doe tags and can't even shoot on of those.

I haven"t seen anything but a button buck, in three days of hunting. Usually I have all my tags filled by the third day. After the first few it would slow down, how much slower can it get. I've decided I'm shooting whatever I see. I shot a squirrel in the head this morning with my 308, lot of squirrels to add up to a deer. I am going to take a box of shells and earplugs with me out in the woods and start killing until the 30th. I'm ****ed Is anyone elses season weird

In Texas most people are having poor results because of a full moon.

The deer are just not moving very much during the day but we are seeing lots
at night(When you can't shoot them). They should start moving soon though
so be patient and save the squirrels for later.

J E CUSTOM

I did notice on my trail cameras the deer were coming through at 11 till 1 at night.I don't know much about deer hunting but that would make sense.So when there is no light at night the deer will start moving during the day?Of course it's still 50 degrees during the day and 40 at night. It hasn't even snowed here yet. Usually it snows by halloween. Thanks for the info though that made the late night trail cam pics make sense. I ate the squirrel though took his head off not much shock in the meat.

Worst season in about 10 years here in eastern Nebraska too. I decided on the 2nd to last day (saturday) i would shoot a doe. Problem? Never seen a doe. This is a place right along the Platte River where we usually fill about 5 tags opening weekend. I've never been so disappointed after a rifle season.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Here in Wisconsin, the DNR has effectively destroyed the deer herd. I was able to see 4 deer (all yearlings) in 9 days of gun season. 2 months of bowhunting, I saw maybe a dozen deer. In my area that I hunt, there isn't any public land within about 5 miles. It is all private tracks. Problem is, everyone has been forced to shoot does because of earn-a-buck.

Somehow, 1 1/2 deer per forty is what the dnr is claiming to be a healthy deer herd. Thank god the wolves are moving in too! That should help.

Last edited:
I've never ate wolf but i'm sure the rear quarters and backstraps might cook up nice. I finally got a doe in blackpowder once the snow came, and probably 40 to 50 hours of combined rifle and blackpowder hunting. I couldn't even see a 1 1/2 old doe before that.

I've never ate wolf but i'm sure the rear quarters and backstraps might cook up nice. I finally got a doe in blackpowder once the snow came, and probably 40 to 50 hours of combined rifle and blackpowder hunting. I couldn't even see a 1 1/2 old doe before that.

I was just out to my folks' place on Sunday doing some repairs on a plow. Mom told me that they had seen a pair of wolves a couple days before. They have a feeder about 150 yards behind the house that they watch deer at (what deer are left!). Since the wolves passed through, no deer. I wonder if the DNR takes into consideration that if all the deer are gone, the only thing wolves and coyotes will have to eat are livestock and house pets. I guarantee if that starts happening, you will see a sudden epidemic of lead poisoning in the wolf population.

Now that its over did the season end up any better?

We had a poor season hear also due to the drought.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.