Worn out barrel?

WapitiBob

Got my borescope and it looks like it's time for a rebuild.

1 (Medium).jpg

2 (Medium).jpg

3 (Medium).jpg

My comp barrels look worse than that after a single weekend shoot.
I re-cut my chambers after 800 rounds, by the third set-back and rechamber, they still don't look as sharp as your lands.
I get around 3,000 rounds through my 300WM & 264WM comp barrels before replacing them.
I would run that barrel no problem, just remember it's not the haze cracking to be concerned with the most, it's the amount of throat wear and elongation. As accuracy drops off, check the velocity, by keeping the velocity at the same level as the throat grows, you should stay in the node.
I do not chase the lands with my comp guns, I just increases the powder charge.
I can have .040" throat growth over 2 matches if I have to rapid fire due to conditions. Obviously, I can't adjust the powder charge and have to compensate during a match, but it's my process and I know it well.

Cheers.
P. S.
I'm having withdrawals from shooting, have only fired a couple dozen rounds in 8 months and that was with my custom 264WM/7STW running in the barrels.
Nothing still until the end of January.

I went to the range a few days ago and it shot about .7 with 175 eld-x and no load development. I cleaned again and shot close to a .4 with 160 accubond and no load development. It does seem to get really loaded with carbon and copper. We're talking solid black and smurph blue after a dozen shots. Gonna work on the 160's this weekend.

Thanks for the insight guys, it's appreciated.

AB's really foul a barrel bad if there is even a hint of other jacket material. Ask the guys at Nosler, at least the old crew would tell you that.

Keep shooting her until she fouls to pressure spiking in a few shots, or she destroys the throat to the point where it looks flat. I pulled my 7rum barrel a year and a half ago when the accuracy went to pot and the throat looked flat for a couple inches.
You may want to start limiting what you actually have loaded after a spell and just have components on the shelf for the old girl. I made the mistake of having a couple hundred loaded on the shelf for my 7rum and had to pull all of them as the new barrel pressured up quicker.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts