Working up loads

Cinchy

I only go by my manuals recommendations as far a powder, primers, bullet weight, starting loads, & max loads. My way is trial & err at best, is that the proper way? I have only been reloading for around 10 years & feel I have much to learn as far a working up a good load? I actually find reloading relaxing & enjoy my reloading time, but some times feel like I`m wasting too many good bullets, & powder finding the right load? Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

Broad questions like this tend to create a lot of forum chaos, as no two reloaders do it exactly the same.
You could read books about accuracy, and then forum search specific answers.

1) I actually find reloading relaxing & enjoy my reloading time,
2) but some times feel like I`m wasting too many good bullets, & powder finding the right load?
3) Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

1) Excellent
2) This contradicts number 1. If you enjoy something, then doing that is never a "waste".
3) As Mike said, there is no "wrong" way to eat a Reese's.
So here are some generalities to remember.
Good book data is generated in Universal receivers and pressure barrels. These have tightly controlled minimum spec SAAMI dimensions, your rifle is going to be looser. No one lists lot numbers tested. Note that with differing books the charges vary, but very very rarely do the actual velocities? That is lot variation. Regardless of actual charge weight, when you match book velocity, you have gone over book pressure. If that doesn't bother you, then fine; but don't have any false imitations about what you are doing. Also don't ever use "signs" for pressure measurement, use velocity. Since the 1950's, NO ONE lists specs for brass cases, and CUP is NOT accurate when testing above roughly 45,000 psi. A random dude on the street can't stare or measure his cases and have any clue where he is for pressure. I've done enough with a Pressure Trace to feel very comfortable in stating that, generally, production cases begin to show "signs" around 70-75,000 psi, which corresponds with a few mfgrs Alloy specs for tensile strength.

Do what you do, and enjoy it.

OK here`s a specific question~ How many rounds of a specific load do you all do, to give it a fair chance? 3, 5 how many, I have been doing 5 ?

I generally start off with three or four 3 shot groups. If I see promise in the groups then I will move on to 5 shot groups. I feel that 3 shot groups don't give you a determination of how accurate a load may be, but will let you know if it is no good.

Cinchy

It takes me as few as 7 shots to develop sub moa loads. It didn't used to be that way but I stumbled onto some good info which helped. Basically I discovered the Optimal Barrel Timing theory developed by Chris Long. (Checkout the paper on this subject on his website.) That paper tells you what makes an accurate load and suggests that you get a copy of QuickLoad ($150) so you know what barrel timing in milliseconds is accurate in your gun. You then make your loads so they achieve that barrel timing. Of course you also will need a good chronograph so you can calibrate your load in QuickLoad using the velocity the load produced. So you thought you were having fun before.... wait until you try this method.

My process now is to load my data into QuickLoad describing the specifics about my rifle and components I'll be using. It gives me a suggestion for a load. I'll load one or two of those and go to the range and fire it over my CED chrono. That resulting velocity is usually close to what QuickLoad said I would get buy not close enough so I go home and tweak QuickLoad with the new info (generally you have to change the burn rate QuickLoad is using for your powder) and make 3 of the new improved load and go to the range and fire those for group size. If they are on the barrel timing node they should shoot pretty good. I may then make some very small final tweaks in the load and come back one more time to the range to confirm that the load still shoots accurately. Then it is time to go hunting.

For me, anything less than 5 rounds is simply an excuse to leave the house.
5 will give you an idea, 10-20 is where I take my chrono average for Shooter.

Depends on what I'm doing too.
Did a post a few years ago, where I lobbed 70-ish rounds at a target in a short period. A few reasons, but as the rate of fire matched what would happen at a match. Gives you a real world look at the system, not some calculated pontification.

Cheers

Thank God my question didn't turn this into total chaos! LMAO Thank you all for the actual answers! I might have found part of my mistakes already? I have been loading up 5 then shoot, & from what I have read 5 is only a starting point? I`m lucky I have a range at my house so load, then walk out & shoot. What I have been doing is load 5 at beginning load, 5 at mid range load, & 5 at near max & shoot those 5 last. Then compare each, so I have been shorting each loads chance for favorable results?Engineering101 thank you for that info Ill look up that site!

Thank God my question didn't turn this into total chaos! LMAO Thank you all for the actual answers! I might have found part of my mistakes already? I have been loading up 5 then shoot, & from what I have read 5 is only a starting point? I`m lucky I have a range at my house so load, then walk out & shoot. What I have been doing is load 5 at beginning load, 5 at mid range load, & 5 at near max & shoot those 5 last. Then compare each, so I have been shorting each loads chance for favorable results?Engineering101 thank you for that info Ill look up that site!

I like the OCW method. Pick powders and bullets, load them up and go shooting.

Of course i like reloading and the hunt for that magic combination just as much as shooting

After.i find one or.two likely charges then seating.depth test. Then the final tweaking of.the.charge.

Its Therapy

I've been tinkering around with reloading since the early eighties, only got serious about it a few years ago.

What works best for me is loading everything pretty well to mag length and finding a powder and load then that gives me the best consistency.

Once I've tuned the load usually moving in .02gr increments up and down to get the best groups I can out of it I'll fiddle with the seating depth a bit to tighten it up.

I try not to get too obsessive about it as like you, I want to enjoy it.

I'm no expert , but I keep a close eye on extreme spread during my load development. I've found that the load with the smallest spread will usually be the best one to fine tune, charge and seating depth ect. I've seen some amazing 100 yds groups shot with loads of 75+fps ES . Don't rely on "short" range groups to decide your best load .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.