Working Up Loads For The 338 Lapua

jwp475

I just recieved my 338 Lapua that I had built on a Rem 700 action, with an ABS carbon wrap barrel that is 31" long including the brake, set up with a Seekins Detachable box magazines to take a 3.9" COAL, set in a Rem. Sendero stock. I originaly wanted to shoot the 325 grain Wildcat rebated boatail bullet, but it will not stabilize in the 10 twist of my barrel. They were key holeing even with velocity over 2700 FPS. Today I tried some 250 grain SMK bullets with 98 grains of H-1000 they averaged 3189 FPS with a SD of 11 FPS and 95 grains of Reloader-25 averaged 3197 FPS with a SD of 9. I also tried 98 grains of Retumbo and this load averaged 3010 FPS but seemed a little mild in the pressure department and di not shoot nearly as acurately as the other 2 powders did.

Next I moved back to shoot a group with both loads to 330 yards according to my lazer range finder. I only had 2 of the H-1000 loads and the 2 shots went .634 inchs. The 95 grain load of Reloader-25 with 3 shots went into a group of 1.125 inchs with the first 2 into .424 inchs

I was very pleased with this performance both in the velocity and accuracy. Tomorow I am going to shoot some more with the H-1000 load.

Last edited:
The 325 Wildcat bullet may take a longer range to stabilize.

I'm loading 92.5gr/H1000 using the 250gr Scenar and LockBase.

I've tried RL22, RL25, but not Retumbo.

The Nosler 225gr Accubond is accurate as is the Hornady Custom Ammo with their 250gr bullet.

We found the RL line of powders to be finnicky with respect to humidity and temperature. H1000 and Retumbo work fine for us. Too bad the 325 Wildcat would not stabilize at your location.

Try some of the Henson bullets as they have all been stable at 100 yards at 92ft above sea leavel. [email protected]

James

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find any Winchester WMR it is extremely accurate in the 338 Lapua. They quit making it and I don't know where to find it now. I loaded up on it when they quit making it. It was the most accurate in my 338 Lapuas and several others who shot it around the country.

If you can find any Winchester WMR it is extremely accurate in the 338 Lapua. They quit making it and I don't know where to find it now. I loaded up on it when they quit making it. It was the most accurate in my 338 Lapuas and several others who shot it around the country.

Hello,

Mr Henson has about 32lbs of the stuff and he swears by it.

James

I have been testing my 700P Lapua over the last 3 months with 250 SMK's and 250 Scenars, and quickly narrowed it down to Retumbo and RL 25, with RL 25 showing excellent promise. After last nights load testing session, I have confirmed 92 gr RL25 and the 250 Scenars at around 2840 fps (and single digit SD) as this rifle pet load, and I will start here when I get my mits on Noslers 250 AB's.

For the 300 SMK's and 30" barrels, I have heard excellent reports on 869 as the ticket.

Nosler 250 ABs

Nosler 250 ABs are available now at Midwayusa.com. Got my email from them a couple days ago and already have couple boxes on there way to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.