Working up loads for magnums

I'd appreciate the link
Thanks for that article. It explains a lot I've experienced over the years. Especially why I don't like a light trigger ( 2 lbs or less interferes with my "pinchers" ). I always make sure the butt plate/pad is 90 degrees to the bore. That way, whether it's a shotgun or rifle, recoil feels more like a " push" .

I think this is the greatest statement I've seen on this website!!!

I learned years ago to put a muzzle brake on all of my heavy recoiling rifles. My 300 WSM beat me up to the point I didn't want to practice shooting it. Muzzle brake installed and it became a joy to shoot.
I agree that quote is a hall of famer and we can enjoy it. I do remember the day after one range day when an area 6'x10" was black and blue on my upper right chest. Dang, I prayed that day for pain relief.

I had somewhat the same problem. But, I had lost a Disk in Neck "C6-7" put a KDF Break on my Winchester Featherweight 300 WM. Light gun, light 3X9 Luppy scope. Shot like a 243
never looked back! Have a Burgura HMR-PRO in the 300 WM and a 3 Port Canon "type" Break. Have shot some where about 30+ rounds and not even a Red spot on shoulde. And shot the same amount the Next few days! I break everything! LOL I Break everything🤣🤣🤣
I've been very seriously considering putting a brake on mine as well, this is good information! You may have just sold me on doing that 😎

mwkelso,

One day my son-in-law and I went to the range. He had a 7 Rem Mag and I had my .375 wildcat. I fired thirty 270 bullets average over 3,000 fps. He fired thirty 140 grain bullets at 3,284 fps. He had a blood blister on his shoulder with a six" bruise around it. I didn't even have a pink place on my shoulder.

Brakes work. Next time he fired that rifle it had a brake.

mwkelso,

One day my son-in-law and I went to the range. He had a 7 Rem Mag and I had my .375 wildcat. I fired thirty 270 bullets average over 3,000 fps. He fired thirty 140 grain bullets at 3,284 fps. He had a blood blister on his shoulder with a six" bruise around it. I didn't even have a pink place on my shoulder.

Brakes work. Next time he fired that rifle it had a brake.
That would make shooting very miserable...
In addition to the recoil reduction, what other advantages have you gained by installing a brake? The other thing I would like to get an advantage of is a quicker return to natural point of aim.

I have truly enjoyed reading all the storys.. It reminds me of when I was a little fella.. 5 I think my Uncles took me shooting in a really muddy chirt pit after a rain and my first time pulling a trigger on a 12 gauge... pulled the trigger.. the world disappeared..laying there in the mud lookin up.

When I was about 11 -12 years old I shot my dads 300 weatherby. Not knowing really what was about to transpire. I knew bigger cartridges kicked harder but not like that and my dad never told me what I was about to do. Ended up getting the crap kicked outta of me and scoped pretty good. Up until I was roughly 22 or so did I do well with recoil took quite a bit to get over that episode. Lots of short sessions at the range , go and maybe only shoot 2-3 shots with bigger guns but shoot the crap out of 223 or whatever else I'd took with me . Over time I " trained " myself and got mentally prepared for the recoil now I can go and burn through a box of pretty well whatever I've got and do real well with it . With the exception of my 30-378 without the brake. Without the brake it will uproot you almost!

The hardest and nastiest kicking gun I've got is my 870 super mag turkey gun with a Tom rooster dual blended hand load I generally only shoot one target each spring then if everything goes right 2 shots in the field . That thing is brutal but man does it kill and at a long range for a shotgun. If needed
WV, Your story is the only one on this topic that makes me feel sorry. I can't believe anyone letting an innocent kid shoot a 300 Wby. You can port your barrel or get a ported choke to get some relief with your shotgun (maybe; as some say the ports aid wad separation; others say if it looks like a brake, one will think there's less recoil). Best regards and I'm glad you were able to shoot again.

Last edited:
Wasn't meaning to get felt sorry for . Lol I can guarantee that I was asking and wanting to shoot dads 300 I do remember asking repeatedly probably to the point of being a pain in the @22 . That was dads way of showing me I guess . I've learned ways of dealing with recoil it just took awhile to get over that one bad experience. I handle recoil pretty well now if I do say so myself. Can shoot my 338 win into sub Moa groups with regularity, same as with any of my 300s I now have . As I stated earlier the hardest kicking firearm I own now and shoot with the exception of the 30-378 is my turkey gun.

Get a slide on recoil pad for load development. I shoot mostly magnums only. I can handle it well but it really does help on a long session
Most my Magnums have a brake on them but my lite .338wm is unbraked for a short to the point hunt rifle.

The Limbsaver slip on pad makes it doable to shoot. Its like jelly. I would absolutely recommend it if there's no brake. I dont play with that gun.....not a lot of paper punching. I slip the pad off to hunt because it only hurts on the bench.

The trigger is lite and that helps a lot also. I like the gun to go off before my mind realizes im gunna get chuck norrised again.

Growing up, I went with my grandfather almost everywhere until I started school. He liked to take me bird hunting as I was better than his dogs at retrieving and to the trap and skeet range so I could pick up his empties for reloading. I remember being 3 and him letting me shoot his Remington 1100 12ga at the range one day. He held the forearm and I pulled the trigger by reaching as far as I could. Set me on my butt, but I was hooked.

I got a Smith and Wesson 1500 7mm Rem Mag and that thing would beat me up. One day after going to the range and going through two boxes of rounds, I came home to find a 2" by 4" dark blue bruise on my shoulder. Bought a Past shoulder pad and fixed that (Later traded the gun on a Vanguard in the same caliber that DIDN'T have the butt pad solidified into a rock. That 7mmm is a joy to shoot). One of my best $35 ever spent on Amazon as I bought a .340 Wby Mag for a Nilgai hunt that didn't happen.

With the Past on, I can go through about 40 to 50 rounds with the .340 and still not be bruised. Rangemaster enjoys watching me shoot it, though. Says it looks like I'm riding a bull...

I enjoy shooting the big heavies, but I enjoy shooting my .240 Wby Mag even more. :cool:

Wasn't meaning to get felt sorry for . Lol I can guarantee that I was asking and wanting to shoot dads 300 I do remember asking repeatedly probably to the point of being a pain in the @22 . That was dads way of showing me I guess . I've learned ways of dealing with recoil it just took awhile to get over that one bad experience. I handle recoil pretty well now if I do say so myself. Can shoot my 338 win into sub Moa groups with regularity, same as with any of my 300s I now have . As I stated earlier the hardest kicking firearm I own now and shoot with the exception of the 30-378 is my turkey gun.
I don't feel too bad for you. I was raised on a farm in the Panhandle of Texas, and my dad had both me and my older brother shoot a single barrel 16 guage shotgun as our first time. I think he was trying to insure we wouldn't touch a firearm unless we were given permission. I was 5 and my brother was 6. I still remember being rolled into a ball by the recoil. I must be a glutton for punishment, because I've loved firearms ever since. So has my elder brother. I think the plan backfired.

That would make shooting very miserable...
In addition to the recoil reduction, what other advantages have you gained by installing a brake? The other thing I would like to get an advantage of is a quicker return to natural point of aim.
Well, honestly, the noise and shock wave can be down right obnoxious when shooting a magnum with a brake which I have found leads to me being all alone on the firing line at my local club. I count that as an advantage. 😉

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.