Working up loads for magnums

Rilow

Just curious if any body else has issues with working up loads for hard recoiling calibers. I seem to get a good load for 338 win mag and then trying to verify it things start gettin squirrels and make me question my load. If I take 1 shot on different days they're right on the money , brings my confidence back. Just wonder do you guys shoot your loads at one range trip. It's easy for spreading it out cause I have 100yd range behind house

It really depends upon the felt recoil of the rifle, quality of the recoil pad, and if I use the PAST Recoil Shield. With my wife's .338 WM, I good to 20 or so, with my old .375 H&H ( fairly heavy rifle) 40 in a day wasn't bad, my .375 AI - I'm good for about 20. But, the following day "couldn't hit a bull moose in the @$$ with a bass fiddle"....my shoulder is pretty tender. I'm lucky to shoot 1" to 1 1/2"- 3 shot groups the next day after the beating! memtb

Just curious if any body else has issues with working up loads for hard recoiling calibers. I seem to get a good load for 338 win mag and then trying to verify it things start gettin squirrels and make me question my load. If I take 1 shot on different days they're right on the money , brings my confidence back. Just wonder do you guys shoot your loads at one range trip. It's easy for spreading it out cause I have 100yd range behind house
If you have a good load developed and shoots like you want, then shoot based on your comfort zone. You don't have to shoot a bunch of ammo in a single outing. Besides, too much with heavy recoil and you will develop some bad habits/flinch.

If you have a good load developed and shoots like you want, then shoot based on your comfort zone. You don't have to shoot a bunch of ammo in a single outing. Besides, too much with heavy recoil and you will develop some bad habits/flinch.

Very true! Once you have a good load, an occasional outing should be plenty, using field positions...prone, sitting, sticks, ect. I only go to the bench for additional load work, or to verify the zero prior to hunting! Everyday shooting ....I use the "girly" cartridges! :cool: memtb

I used to have this issue for sure. Funny that this thread came up, I just did the seating depth testing on my .300wm this afternoon.
I came across an article on Sniper's Hide that was geared specifically to recoil management and it helped this issue exponentially for me. Let me know if you'd like the link.

I used to have this issue for sure. Funny that this thread came up, I just did the seating depth testing on my .300wm this afternoon.
I came across an article on Sniper's Hide that was geared specifically to recoil management and it helped this issue exponentially for me. Let me know if you'd like the link.
I'd appreciate the link

I have a sub nine lbs 300 RUM. I just finished up load dev on it. It doesn't have a brake on it so I am only good for about 10-15 before I feel like I am wasting ammo. I'm shooting light 152gr bullets at light speed.

I just remind myself it's like getting punched in the face, just take it like a man...won't feel it when I put it on game.

Like when I built my 7 pound 7-300wby. Was shooting 140s at 3450 and it beat the living heck out of me. Felt like I did a few rounds with Tyson. It literally made my teeth hurt the next day. Took the barrel off pretty quick. It still sitting in my barrel bin. I would rather shoot 6mms now in heavy guns.
Shep

I guess I am lucky Recoil never bothers me.I will take my 375 H&H 338,300 RUM and my 300 WM and shoot all afternoon.The only gun that ever bother was a 458 Win

When I was about 11 -12 years old I shot my dads 300 weatherby. Not knowing really what was about to transpire. I knew bigger cartridges kicked harder but not like that and my dad never told me what I was about to do. Ended up getting the crap kicked outta of me and scoped pretty good. Up until I was roughly 22 or so did I do well with recoil took quite a bit to get over that episode. Lots of short sessions at the range , go and maybe only shoot 2-3 shots with bigger guns but shoot the crap out of 223 or whatever else I'd took with me . Over time I " trained " myself and got mentally prepared for the recoil now I can go and burn through a box of pretty well whatever I've got and do real well with it . With the exception of my 30-378 without the brake. Without the brake it will uproot you almost!

The hardest and nastiest kicking gun I've got is my 870 super mag turkey gun with a Tom rooster dual blended hand load I generally only shoot one target each spring then if everything goes right 2 shots in the field . That thing is brutal but man does it kill and at a long range for a shotgun. If needed

I'm not sure if my 8# (scoped) 375h@h or my 9# 300 rum kicks worse... they are both interesting. Most people who don't do well with harder recoil simply don't shoot enough. Some people (my pops included) have issues -often medical that limits how much recoil they should see.
When working up a load for a mule, I like to take it out with a couple of shooters and a few different days with differing weather... If one shooter is a bit off his/her game, it should be obvious when the other shooter mops the floor with him. Sometimes it also helps to have another rifle that is a known shooter with to test conditions. If you are trying to get 1/2 moa groups and the conditions won't let your good shooter break moa, perhaps you need to pack it in or simply plink and do the serious work later.

I rank my 338 win mag right up there with my Ithaca feather weight 12 ga slug gun, it's not unbearable but it will work on ya after bit

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.