Working up 7mm-08 load suggestions

CHRIS MCBRIDE

Ok I am building a new 7mm-08 and looking for good starting point on loads to test. Its AR 10 22" 1:9.5 barrel. Looking for some loads that will work out to 500 yards as thats about as far as energy is high enough for deer size game. Main reason for doing 7mm-08 is I have 3 other 7mm's and plenty projectiles and powders for them.If end up with either or both be totally different so be it.Others are 7mm rem mag and 2 7mm mausers. If loads work great with 150 gr Nosler partitions that would be awesome since big stock pile.

I have a great load using 44.5gr of IMR-4350 that groups 0.25" at 100yds, but on a 26" competition bull barrel, it might be too slow burn with a short 22" AR barrel.

IMR-4064 works great on shorter barrels, for hunting I have a load of 40.2 gr with a couple of 150gr bullets, sub Half MOA at 100 yds. I've read Varget is also very good for the 7mm-08.

Mine really likes Varget, 45.2 gr (pretty hot in my gun) and 120 gr Nosler ballistic Tips. It also does nicely with 140 NBT. Varget is a great powder for the 7mm-08.

Other powders that work well
Ramshot BigGame - 47 to 47.5 grains with 140 Accubond or E-tip, or 46 grains and a 150 ELDX or Accubond LR
Reloder 16 - several book loads

Funny that here 22" barrel is short and over on a AR10 site I am being told it needs to be 18" and no problem at 500 yrds. I agree that 18" would probably work but I feel that longer will give lot better performance out that far.

Funny that here 22" barrel is short and over on a AR10 site I am being told it needs to be 18" and no problem at 500 yrds. I agree that 18" would probably work but I feel that longer will give lot better performance out that far.

I doubt that an 18" in a 7mm-08 will work out to 500 yards for hunting purposes but I may be wrong, for targets yes but hunting, I doubt the bullets will have the speed to cause a clean kill, but again, I may be wrong.

Imr 4064 & varget get my nod with fed gm210m's, I'm currently right around 40 gr's on both using 162's in the hornady flavor, work up as always for your setup

Your 22 bbl is fine ,Congrats being ar,HorIMR 4895 would be a good choice as many are . Im a bolt guy so we can run many powders , as per 150's npartions if your rifle likes them and I think it will ,all you need is the rite reload combo ,good luck , cheers !

For meat hunts I ran a 7mm-08 with 154 gr Hornady SST, 40.6 gr IMR4064 @ 2573 FPS. It was a palmetto state armory upper and lower originally in 308 win and I decided to change the barrel out to a 24" fluted heavy contour, warne cantilever scope mount, Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 and a 3lb timney trigger. I didn't run a brake on the end due to the excessive noise it would produce. I ran this same combination in my Browning X-bolt, 22" barrel and got about a 120 FPS faster... go figure. It was a bit heavy but with a 25 rd clip it was a killing machine out past 500 yds. Did some steel out to 650 yds once but did most of my kills from 50 yds - 300 yds. A solid bipod is a must or a tree will work fine. The ease of cresting a hill and hammering game without working the bolt is a dream, so you can concentrate on where your animals drop. Good luck with your setup... if I was to do it again I would use a 20" barrel in a lighter contour because of the weight. Aloha

well I am already lite weight I only have 20 round mag.LOL As for Muzzle brake.I am at toss up there,but figure have it threaded and can run brake,suppressor or just thread protector cap. Great thing about a AR with small investment other than scope I can have another caliber.

I doubt that an 18" in a 7mm-08 will work out to 500 yards for hunting purposes but I may be wrong, for targets yes but hunting, I doubt the bullets will have the speed to cause a clean kill, but again, I may be wrong.

I have an 18" AR10 in 7mm-08. It shoots the same loads as my bolt gun, 45.0 grains of Varget with 120gr Nosler ballistic tips. In the bolt bun with 24" barrel it's a nearly 3100 FPS load, in the 18" barrel it goes 2850, still faster than many other hunting loads in most other mid size cartridges.

I have an 18" AR10 in 7mm-08. It shoots the same loads as my bolt gun, 45.0 grains of Varget with 120gr Nosler ballistic tips. In the bolt bun with 24" barrel it's a nearly 3100 FPS load, in the 18" barrel it goes 2850, still faster than many other hunting loads in most other mid size cartridges.

I agree with you when using a 120gr bullet like a ballistic tip you can reach out to 500 yds, but with a 150gr Partition with a low BC like the OP mentioned on his original post the bullet just won't have enough juice to cause to clean kill

The data I have seen and admit its just data and not real world.We have to use something for base's. Show 1000 ft. lbs at 500 with 150 gr is very doable. I try to limit most to 1100 to 1200 ft lbs but once I have gun dialed and know I can make clean shot at that range I do not see any problem with clean kill. I have made multiple shots past 500 on both deer and paper,not bad sniper, but I do have experience and practice to make the shot. Now which bullet may have big effect on that I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts