Working up 7mm-08 load suggestions

As some here may know, I recently bought a Bergara B14, Ridge, in 7'08. Shot it for first time Friday, didn't like anything with Varget, much to my surprise. It did however like R17, with 150AB. Going to revisit thst load, and all other bullets that were shot with the Varget. They were 140TTSX, 139 Interlock, and150 smk. Groups were terrible, but also on the lite side. 41.1.
Load with AB, was 45.0-RL17.
First THREE, in same hole!

R17 is very temp sensitive. Like 1.5 fps per degree so be careful in warm weather with loads worked up in cooler weather. As for the 140 ttsx I had terrible results on game even at 7 mag velocities. Bullet is just really dense high sd and the tipped version delays opening. Just zipping thru with very little damage. Big fan of ab's. Although in a 7/08 I would go with the 140.

I hsve shot that bullet, in a super accurate 700p, in seven mag, now these were the yellow box. That rifle would shoot 1/4 minute groups, @200. I actually shot a .189, three shot group once with it. I still hsve some of those bullets, same lot I believe, and I may just give them a whirl. I have Rl17, and Rl16 as well. I'm not a Berger hunting bullet fan, but the target bullets, I can tolerate. The 4064 might be a scosh, too fast for the heavies. I think it to be fine for lighter bullets though. Just a thought. I think the RL17 is going to be my main ride, if not, the RL16. Let me know how you make out.
Thar's some good shooting! What's your go-to hunting bullet?

Thar's some good shooting! What's your go-to hunting bullet?
I became a fan of the Barnes bullets, back around 2009. Since that time, every animal that I've fired upon, I never had to track, and if so, it was short, with a good trail. Haven't had a failure. I really like the 145LRX, in the seven mag, and shot that bullet in my sweetheart, 7STW. That bullet was magic, and thought it was a target bullet. My son killed his first deer, at a little over 300, with a tsx, 140 grain.
I Ihave my eye on the Hammer bullet, and talked to Steve recently, and he is sure his 130 bullet, will be the ticket, in the 7-08. I'm inclined to believe thst to be true, and am going to give them a try a little later. Maybe for the 6.5 Creedmore. I've had a few bullets fail on me, NOT the Barnes though. They are a security blanket for me, I've learned how to shoot them, as you can't shoot them as you do a lead core bullet. Just my thoughts!

I use only Lapua or ADG if they make it in the caliber I'm loading
Lapua will be my first choice, I've heard good things on the Peterson's brass. Don't know if they make it for 7-08 or not. It was a dumb move on my part, as I know it was a little soft on the Creedmoor brass. I have fifty pieces, in bag, plus once fired factory, same stuff! Oh well. I'll look around!

Lapua will be my first choice, I've heard good things on the Peterson's brass. Don't know if they make it for 7-08 or not. It was a dumb move on my part, as I know it was a little soft on the Creedmoor brass. I have fifty pieces, in bag, plus once fired factory, same stuff! Oh well. I'll look around!
Yes sir I have heard Peterson and Starline are good
I've used a lot of Nosler brass too
Know folks that used Hornady that when it's time to trim it they chunk it

That's good info. I've not fired or worked with the Peterson brass, but have heard good things about it..
I have used it and have no complaints what I really like to use is lapua 308 palma brass we neck down and turn the necks we have found the small rifle primer pockets hold up better

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.