Working the Hunting Dog

Nice pup Guy...really looks like a pudelpointer....
and for you guys sporting the pudelpointer...what line did you get them from...do you know the pudel lineage...how they came about to the US.....
If you love that dog...thanks to Bodo..and his Dad...

Mine are pretty much Cedarwoods by way of other breeders. Oldest one is from Hardtrigger Kennel (he is a phenomenal upland dog) and youngest one is from Haydevil Kennel. Both dames of these kennels were Cedarwoods dogs and sire of the oldest was Cal Valleys Ace which was the other Pudelpointer group that stayed with the German breeding standards.

Haven't decided what our next dog will be. The GSP's shed a lot compared to the Pudelpointer and my wife likes the idea of a Small Munsterlander. I always wanted a GWP and the Pudelpointer has a good chance to get picked again too. I'll probably just make a lot of phone calls to see what breedings are happening when the time comes.

A little background for the pudelpointer...
Was breed in Germany starting before the war....a hunting farm....Winterhelt was the game master at the farm...war came and they buried all their shotguns and rifles in the woods so the Nazis wouldn't find them....after the war..Bodo Winterhelt was encouraged by his father to leave Germany...so he came to US via Canada.......
After getting some dogs over here and showing people what they could do he started working at hunts clubs in various areas....he was offered some lucrative deals...
One for some desert country..which was later named Las Vegas...the offer was from Bing Crosby....Bodo turned down that area..to dry for the dogs....Bing also offered Bodo anotber situation....the Catalina Island....Bodo didn't want fo be so isolated....
Another offer came thru connections....guy offered him 25000 acres....which was all along a really nice river valley...now known as Bend Oregon....Bodo turned it down too.....
You have fo remember this is around 1960 or so.."been a long time since I was told this story"...
So he finally accepted a place...in California...just north of Los Angeles....where he trained and hunted his dogs for a long time.....after growing tired of that area...he packed up and moved to a smallish town on the Oregon coast...where he trained dogs and owners to be for several years..before suffering a severe stroke........Bandon Oregon...this is where I met Bodo.....did some work for him on his training facility and built a "birdhouse" for him.....even had time to b's him...and learn a little of his life story......great guy...he was even able to teach me a few things.......
From what I understood...he retained 'all breeding right's of his pudelpointers....which some have broken with.....
Beautiful dogs......hunters heart.....

Puppy pics!! 2 weeks old today.

SlX8Pkz.jpg

yXKZ4oT.jpg

My 3 yr old Black Pearl had her first litter 06/10. Small first litter- only 4 and one didn't pull thru. Deutsch Kurzhaar lineage.

An update here - Mav worked hard last year and during the season he got us on about 30 pheasant as well as some quail. I must have gone to all the wrong places for chukar, 'cause we didn't do well at all for them, while I've had considerable success in the past. He's matured, and is a strong 75 pound dog. He's also become a really, really friendly, nice dog. :) Easy to live with. Though of course he has that GWP "high energy" thing going on. :)

i2fUTn2l.jpg

tEGAhvOl.jpg

My youngest son and Maverick at the end of a morning hunt:
dlmikmCl.jpg

Mav is still a bit of a "wild child" when the hunt begins, but he calms down a bit and gets real intense. I like that.

Regards, Guy

Our prior GWP passed last spring, too young. He was only ten.

We had just about gotten used to not having a dog, for the first time in over 20 years, when young Maverick came into our lives. He needed us, and we needed him. He's a rescue dog, and I do think he rescued me.

View attachment 181119

That's way cool Guy!

Well done in rescuing him

Here's my update.
We added Arrow to the herd this last summer and he's turning into a fine dog. At 10 months he's still got a lot of puppy in him. BUT, he's got a tremendous prey drive, he's more athletic than my 3.5 year old Atlas and he's every bit the family dog. He's now the same size (skeleton) as Atlas, but hasn't filled out yet. He's going to be a beast next fall.
1622565001771.jpeg

1622565052720.jpeg

Great looking dogs. Hoping for good nesting conditions in KS, NE, and SD this year. My young one had a good fall and we are working conditioning this summer more than in the past. Won't be long for all of us now.

I've got a brittany pup out of Table Mountain Brittany's down at Godfather gundogs in Colorado. He has made unbelievable improvements. Just been running my older two britts to keep them in shape

Hoping for a good hatch and chick survival this summer.

Not necessarily working the dog, but he had a run in with a porcupine anyways. He's a 6 year old Pudelpointer NA prize 2. Our other Pudelpointer (his dad) and our GSP are both Prize 3 UT and Prize 1 NA dogs. Need to get back into NAVHDA training days to get these guys back up to their full potential again.

(And need to work on some porcupines)

View attachment 200054
That look rips my heart out. Poor thing! Lesson learned.

Went back up the mountain. Finding good numbers of ruffed grouse down low near old logging roads and understory growth and some nice Franklins up high. About a 1000' elevation gain over 2 miles, hunting the mountain meadow edges for Franklins and blues. Pearl did a great job pointing up about 5 birds, she blew over a couple, but we managed 3 today.

Shot a ruffed and stopped for lunch.

lll7SAT.jpg

UblCZ3h.jpg