working on 215 Vlds 300 ultra

rl33 is just fine, rl50 is rather compressed by 2900 fps and 98 grains, by 3000 fps and 102 grains it is **** compressed but it still holds length(when left to sit for a spell) and shoots as well as 98 grains. I'm switching to rl33 for the heavies on it if they chrono well. Even at 3K fps rl50 is a rather mild load with the 225 in the rum. I hope rl 33 is faster as it seemed snappier when I shot them side x side. The wind was up too much last fall when I went out with the rum and rl33 to chrono it. I don't want to buy another chrono stand.

When Matthews built my RUM, I don't think 33 and 50 was available yet, at least I don't remember them. The slowest I did try was 50 BMG, a new powder, but could only squeeze about 102grns in the case if I remember right. My rifle didn't like Retumbo. I would like to try 33, may give a little more volume. Thanks for the ifo.
db

I finally found some info on how rl33 shot in my 30 rum last fall -- I couldn't find the targets but had been active on the rl33 thread for a spell.

90 rl33 produced a 1.080" 100 yard group with mild pressure
93 rl33 produced a 1.035" 100 yard group with slightly warmer pressure
95 rl33 produced a 0.675" 100 yard group with about max pressure
This is with the 225 hdy hpbt and rem brass lit with a 215. Groups were shot on a rather windy day at 100 yards.
I want to get it out again soon to verify cold weather accuracy before I lock in the top charge when hot weather hits.

How many reloads before you before your primer pockets go south?
db
I don't loose primer pockets... I am still shooting necked up brass from my 7 rum( I retired that rifle 5 years ago when the throat went). I FL all my brass with headspace set for the action to just close well and invariably have neck cracks take the brass. The only pockets I've lost on rum brass were a couple with the 7rum pushing 8700 to top rated loads; that powder leaves a lot to be desired.
I refuse to push a rifle past normal working conditions for a few more fps; it's just too hard on things. If it can't be done with my toy and I deem it needs to be done, I'll get a bigger toy.

Do you aneal your brass?
db
No, but I may need to think about it in some cases. I had some virgin 7rums and made them into 30's off the bat and by firing two or three they were showing some losses from cracking. I'm migrating over to real 30 rum brass from re-forms but still have 100 or so reforms getting shot up. I don't get out enough with the rum lately as a few of the other rifles are still vying for my time. I also shoot the 180 and 190 hornady in the 300 rum so I've got established 1/2 moa loads without the 225. I do believe the 225 will net better results when you get past 500 yards or so and will pursue a good load for the bullet;I think I'm very close already.

not to bust into your post, but i am looking for some 215 hybrids if anyone has some available. please pm me with info if you have some to sell or know who has some available. 210's have always shot excellent out of my sendero but id like to try the 215's as they look better out past 1000k if i can get them to work in my rifle.

A lot of good info but back to my original post :D .
215 hybrid Berger
I loaded 3 more same BO 3.989 - base to ogive.
5 different powder charges
86 gr.
85.5 gr.
85 gr.
84.5 gr.
84 gr.

All h1000 Remington brass federal match magnum primers
Neck sized to .333

We will see this weekend what they will do !

My 300RUM loves the 215's and H1000. I have it shooting a bug hole @ 100 yards and I just got it out to 500 yesterday and it was right at 2" for 5 shots. I know it will shoot better than that it was 22 degrees and I was freezing.
gun)

My 300RUM loves the 215's and H1000. I have it shooting a bug hole @ 100 yards and I just got it out to 500 yesterday and it was right at 2" for 5 shots. I know it will shoot better than that it was 22 degrees and I was freezing.
gun)

Gotta love the H-1000, works in many rifles very well. I say you are going to love the 215's

Jeff gun)gun)

So i think i found a winner !
here is the load work up! this was a 3 shot string ,
remington brass neck sized .333
federql match magnnum primers
215 hybrids base to ogive 3.898 .030 off the lands .
H1000 powder 85 grains
shot one other seating depth 3 shot string 3.878 group a .25 larger.

thanks to broz and others the help me get to this point , next week i will shoot them thru my chrony, to set my drops and clicks .

Attachments

• photo.JPG 215 85 grains.JPG
    photo.JPG 215 85 grains.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts