Work of Art is on it's way.

G

GNERGY

For my 338 Ultra mag build, I sent Joel Russo this hunk of desert ironwood.
tarey2.jpg

tarey1_2.jpg

And in return Joel is sending me this. It will be here on tuesday :D my "B" day.
What a present to Me.
tarey1.jpg

tarey.jpg

And this is going in it after I finish the stock. Broughton 30 in. tube gunsmithed by Jim See with one of his Muscle brakes installed.
DSCN1738.jpg

Got a lot of work ahead of me.
Tarey

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Work of Art is here, now the work begins. (Bedding & Finishing)

Beautiful. How heavy is it? I have worked with Iron wood before and the slivers you get sting like crazy! Its haevy stuff too. Havent played with Desert Iron Wood yet.
One thing for sure, it will be SOLID! Happy birthday, youve got a nice project goin

The blank weighed 15 lbs that I sent to him. Will have to spend more time at the gym to be able to carry it hunting.
I figure the farther it shoots, the less I have to walk.
Tarey

Very impressive Tarey. I've been reading some of your posts over the last couple months, looks like a winner.

Very good looking stock. Joel does nice work.
Can't wait to see it. Be be sure to post pix when it's finished.

Thanks
Good Shooting

That will truly be a one of a kind gun. Where did you get the wood?

GNERGY, did you go with the heavy contour from Tim ? It looks just like my contour . looks like a real nice project!

P.s. From the looks of the photo you're neighbors are going to jump out of their SOCKS when you touch off that thunder stick :D

BigBuck

Very nice looking firearm ,Joel does some awsome work. Where did you get the wood from looks like it would be nice for a lathe project.:rolleyes:

A friend of mine sent me the piece of wood. He knew I had made a couple of gunstocks and said that if I didn't make a stock out of it I had to send it back to him. Or make one like the one below that I made for my TC Contender in .223 out of Mesquite. He got it from an older gentleman that he did some work for, he got it at an estate sale 20 yrs ago.
The broughton barrel is the heavy palma contour.

DSCN1710.jpg

DSCN1708.jpg

Very nice. Composite stocks are great, but there is something about the beauty of wood that I like ALOT.

I should have taken a few pictures of the blank when it arrived. I was really skeptical about it as it was coal black, and roughed out with a chain saw. Looked like it was 30 years old sitting in the corner of the garage...

After working it over on the jointer for about 20 minutes, I was pleasantly surprised.

That will certainly make for a one of a kind build Tarey

Make sure you update with the finished pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.