Wool Socks - for people who's feet get really hot.

Braunschweiger

I have tried a bunch of the typical top tier wool socks. However, my feet still get hot and sweat alot. I have recently tried a pair of liner socks that I've had for 10+ years and found that my feet don't get as hot as normal. These are ultra thin. Has anyone found a solid merino/synthetic blend that is ultra light and thin?

I have been wearing liner socks for sports and work for 52 years, year round. Helps with blisters and perspiration.
SmartWool makes several styles of thin wool socks. Boot height and low cut. Check REI or any backpacking store for a variety of manufacturers. Sierra Trading Post is a good source for socks.

My feet sweat also. I found some Cabelas brand merino wool socks. These work great for me. My feet still sweat, but sock wicks moisture way from feet. Keep my feet warm in cold weather, comfortable in warm weather.

Yesterday was in the 90s and I went on a little trek with my brother in law up a little hill to most of you folks. I wore my Salomon GTX4s with some smart wool hiking socks. I was drenched most of the day in sweat, socks did well. At lunch I threw them on a rock with my shirt and they were dry in 20 minutes. Went back on very easy, didn't have to use another pair. Usually I wear first lite socks but it was too hot for over the calf!
received_2431074267201001.jpeg

I wear wool socks almost year round. I've found the Smartwool trekking socks are the bees knees for me. My feet sweat with the older heavy wool socks and I had to use a silk liner. With these trekkers I don't. My feet stay dry as a bone.

You may have more than just sweatier feet than normal; may have hyperhidrosis, which is an abnormality of the sweat glands. Dermatologists can diagnose and treat this.

thanks again everyone for the ideas and help. I have a few new pairs on order to see how they do. And I agree, I could have hyperhidrosis. Probably should get it checked out.

I used to spray my feet with antiperspirant just like my arm pits in the summer when I was building golf courses. Worked. Helps keep your feet warm in hunting season too since they don't sweat up your socks or the inside of your boots...

I have the opposite situation - my feet barely sweat and don't get hot, even in subtropical climates. Even so, I still use a liner for any arduous or extended hikes and I always carry extra liners and pairs of socks. Darn Tough and Smart Wool are the brands I use and they keep my feet warm and dry.

I can attest to the quality and lifetime guarantee on the Darn Tough socks. I've been wearing them for 13+ years and they're worth every penny.

I had two pairs of their trail running low cut socks that developed a stretch hole on the side towards the rear of the sock at a connection point that would be between the heel and ankle bone. I returned them in a manila envelope with a note and the kind folks up there in Vermont swiftly returned me two new pairs. No hassles, no drama.

That was eight years ago and the replacement socks are still going strong with regular use. No holes and no thinning.

Good luck on your search. I hope you find a great pair of socks that work for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.