Wood stock restore?

zr600

Ok I want to re stain an old wood stock what works the best chemical wise to remove the old stain? I know there are paint removers but will that take the stain off too?

I used to refinish a few, but found a guy here who does excellent refinishing. I always used sandpaper, but I wasn't in a hurry. Always bedded them first. Good luck

I refinished an old walnut Fajen on a Chilean Mauser rebarreled to 308. I used Sherwin Williams peel away 7 to dissolve the old finish. I sanded through 600 and the did a satin tung oil finish.

I refinished an old walnut Fajen on a Chilean Mauser rebarreled to 308. I used Sherwin Williams peel away 7 to dissolve the old finish. I sanded through 600 and the did a satin tung oil finish.
did the S-W remove stain or just the finish material? or was there even any stain? wouldn't be any on most walnuts, eh? ok, maybe a dumb question...LOL

I tried Formby's with a recent M70. Ugh, what a mess. Wound up using mostly laquer thinner. Depending on the finish applied, methyl alcohol works, as well as acetone, like @8x68s suggests.
Remember to use gloves that will withstand the solvent you are using, as well as a solvent rated respirator.

I painstakingly recut a lot of the hand checkering in the stock because it was completely gunked up with the Formby's garbage. What a PITA. In a moment of impatience, I used a steel brush (clean, unused one) that I have a few of for cleaning up welds. Wow, it worked great!

Here's info on my refinish:

Edit to add:
some stains are just surface. Those you strip and sand.
Others, absorbed into the wood, may require more diligent approaches. Some methods:
Bleach with Oxalic acid​
bleach with dilute chlorine solution then follow up with ammonia wash​
Try different solvents. One of the tricks we did in wood shop when a stain was absorbed preferentially in an area, leaving a dark blotch, was to saturate a rag with thinner (turp or mineral spirits) and "rub it out". Think of it like washing a dog poo out of the rug.​

Last edited:
I've done many Sako stocks with the Varnish finish. I scrape that off, it removes very easily.
Then I sand and finish, the varnish on those has the stain/colour in it, Sako always used a reddish hue in their varnishes in the L series stocks.
The newer stocks are an oil finish.
Personally, I don't like varnish, it doesn't feel right to me.
I used Citristrip a few times, it works on Polyurethane quite well.

Cheers.

I've done many Sako stocks with the Varnish finish. I scrape that off, it removes very easily.
Then I sand and finish, the varnish on those has the stain/colour in it, Sako always used a reddish hue in their varnishes in the L series stocks.
The newer stocks are an oil finish.
Personally, I don't like varnish, it doesn't feel right to me.
I used Citristrip a few times, it works on Polyurethane quite well.

Cheers.

I have used a lot of different paint/finish removers and the one I keep going back to is good old StripEzze. I custom painted shotgun-competition stocks and used house of colors automotive base coat/clear coat. StripEzze was not the only one but was the quickest to get that stuff off. I then followed up with a acetone wash. If you have jus an oil finish acetone or lacquer thinner will work.

Y'all know to be really, really careful about getting bleach & ammonia near each, right? Do not want them mixing in a container or on a stock.
I thought this would be well known, but just in case it isn't.....

did the S-W remove stain or just the finish material? or was there even any stain? wouldn't be any on most walnuts, eh? ok, maybe a dumb question...LOL
If it's a walnut stock it might not even be stained, if your refinishing it rests in it if it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.