Wood stock or Carbon fiber composite

Methow Packer

No doubt that composite stocks are best to reduce weight. What about felt recoil. Would there be a fairly significant difference in the two especially with heavy recoiling cartridges?

There are better solutions to mitigate felt recoil than stock material, but weight always helps with recoil.

If I was concerned about recoil and not weight, then I would opt for a muzzle brake. It is amazing what a good brake can do to minimize recoil.
I'm fine with the recoil and the weight. 30 Nosler. I have a side break on it and it's plenty manageable. Mostly curious about what people might think if a carbon stock helps absorb recoil. Sounds like I'll leave the wood stock on. I put a good limb saver pad on it already. I'm good to go at 8 3/4 pounds with a 3x18 scope.

I would actually say wood or laminate is just as effective or more effective at dampening recoil vibrations

One time I took a 7 Weatherby to the range. It had a Bell & Carlson stock. Another guy showed up with a .270 Weatherby with a factory stock. There was no comparison. The Bell & Carlson reduced recoil to about half what the other was.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.