WOOD or PLASTIC?

boattailed bandit

Alright, although the title is misleading, the question is which do most of yall prefer? Wood stocks or synthetic? I have always hunted with a wood stock Browning a-bolt or a wood stock Rem 788 so I am just wondering if I am missing out. Ive shot several synthetic stock rifles, but other than the reduction in weight and the obvious "tacti-cool" of some of them, is there a true benefit? Weight really isn't an issue because I don't have a heavy barrel counterpart that I have to balance out. Just wantin to see what most of yall think.

Happy shootin,

BTB

The main benefits of synthetic is that most have a full aluminum bed block which improves accuracy and regidity. Also, the synthetic fibers won't expand & contract with temperature swings like a wooden stock will, causing accuracy swings.

I am synthetic fan, but my .280 AI / .25-06 AI will be on a vintage BDL wood stock because I got it for a really good price, and my rifle is a budget build. I will eventually swap it over to an original Sendero SF stock (no palm swell), if I can find one for a reasonable price.

The high-end synthetics are very nice for the reasons you mention. The lower cost true plastic stocks can be very questionable. I am in the plastics biz - believe me when I say that some of these stocks move around in temperature a LOT more than you think, and can deform due to molded-in stresses when exposed to moderate (left in your car in the sun) heat.

Just like budget wood stocks, you generally get what you pay for...

All the above plus one other attribute...

You can beat the snot out of a snot stock, take a damp rag and wipe it off and be good as new. Can't do that with wood furniture.

I like the look of wood but it's not practical for a 'go to' rifle. One time using a wood stocked rifle as a downhill brake and you'll understand what I mean or, if you are on horseback and your mount decides to brush a rock...you get the idea.

I tend to take the nice wood stock off and put it away for later....

Personally, I like the looks of wood better but it's not as practical and candidly, I don't look at a snot stock as 'tacticool', just practical.

You can pillar bed or bar bed either wood or plastic. Makes no difference.

Wood has heart and soul....plastic is cold.

+1 I prefer wood. My carry rifles all have wood or laminate stocks. My bench/target rifles have fiberglass/bedding block stocks.

I have found that a properly bedded/sealed laminate stock will perform just as well as all but the higher end fiberglass stocks (HS, McMillan, Manners), costs less, and sometimes weighs less.

I also like the feel of checkered wood in my hands. No synthetic can match that feel.

I have wanted to try an Accurate Innovations wood stock with a bedding block for a long time. Can't bring myself to drop the coin, though.

I guess I am just a traditionalist at heart. I don't like stainless either.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.