Wood Laminate or Synthetic Stock?

86ace

I am looking at buying a Savage 93R17 with the heavy barrel. My question is, do the wood laminate and synthetic stocks have any real difference in the accuracy of this rifle? As a sidenote, I will probably be putting a bipod on it.

I recently purchased a savage 17 hmr with the synthetic stock. Its pretty flimsy. It doesnt take more than a pinch to make the stock flex into the barrel. I have only been out a few times since i purchased it, and off a pack with a cabelas pine ridge 4-12 caliber specific scope (which i picked up for a hundred bucks) i can typically produce 5 shot groups you can cover pretty easily with a nickle.

It's a little foward heavy with the hollow plastic stock, but I plan on replacing with a boyds tacticool stock. they're like 80 bucks. something to think about is you have to buy a trigger guard and floorplate.

I have a Savage 17HMR with the laminate stock. I think it is far more solid than their polymer stocks, which IMO are among the worst in the business. If you are going bi-pod I think laminate is definitely your best bet. Like most Savages I have handled, the fit and finish of mine is pretty poor but the thing shoots really straight.

Chucks and crows are bummed

I've got a Savage 93R17BSEV which has the Boyd's Evolution stock from the factory, spiral-fluted stainless steel bull barrel, all stainless steel hardware. It's fitted with the DIP Products trigger guard, floor plate, one-piece engraved scope mount (5 MOA), and is topped off with the BSA 6x18-40 Sweet 17 scope.

I like the Evolution laminated stocks because they are more thermally stable than run of the mill polymer stocks and since the Boyd's stocks are sealed inside and outside under high pressure, they do not react to moisture as much as laminate stocks that are left unfinished or unsealed in the inletted areas.

Once I figured out how to set up the BSA scope (poor instructions, poor reviews) the correct way, it's 10 in a dime at 150 yards from a rest. I'm having a ball with this little gem. The fit and finish are good on mine and the setup is dead on. Plus, ammo is affordable compared to centerfires, so I can shoot as much as I want without the hassle of having to reload. I shoot only Hornady 17 grain V-MAX...consistent, accurate, deadly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.