?? Wonder if I made a bad choice

Sorry, but that isn't
Not removing a dry old doe vrs a young buck that has potential to be a 140-160 some day.
You can't kill the big ones skinning the little ones

Please show me documentation that old females stop dropping fawns- I couldn't find it. I did find many reports of deer farmers that have 10+ year old deer that are still reproducing.

Again, remove one deer that MIGHT turn into a stud vs. leaving a momma that might produce a stud for many years. I'M NOT ADVOCATING REMOVING AN 8PT TWO YEAR OLD. But taking a yearling spike makes more sense than removing a mature doe that is the best breeder.

I have used the 180 grain Berger Hybrids in my 7mm LRM since I first bought it ten years ago. I also use 140 Elite Hunters in my 6.5's, 175's in my 28 Nosler and 245's in my 300 PRC. They have worked out great for me with no lost animals to date, knock on wood and I have used them from 50 yards to 851 yards on game in the States and in South Africa. I have had a couple pencil through shots, one just a few weeks ago on a Muley Doe at 367 yards but no lost animals. I pulled the trigger and my hunting buddy said miss. I saw the impact so i knew it wasn't a miss but she ran like the devil for 30 yards with no indication and then piled up like she had been hit by a freight train. Luckily eastern Montana is pretty open terrain so I never lost sight of her. Upon gutting the little darlin the bullet missed the ribs going in and out but did put a nice hole in the lungs while it was in there. Not a drop of blood until I got to where she was laying. Sometime **** happens and more times than not its the shooter, not the equipment. JMO
I agree with FEENIX that every time I put a deer, elk or antelope in my crosshairs my heart rate elevates so much that I can see the beats in my scope. When that stops happening, Im done hunting.

Should Not use that Bullet for Hunting. It is illegal in most places. In Alabama "mushrooming ammunition" is how it is stated in the Hunting Regulations.

Show me any State where it is illegal...a Berger "mushrooms" just like any other cup n core bullet...I think a little too many mushrooms have been consumed by guys posting on this thread.

"Mushrooming" bullets still still lose weight/ lead. They'll have core jacket separation hence the bonding of jacket to lead core, or use of "mechanical" locks to lead cores.

Should Not use that Bullet for Hunting. It is illegal in most places. In Alabama "mushrooming ammunition" is how it is stated in the Hunting Regulations.
Yeah I agree with Adam 32+P, I think you missed the mark here bud! I hunt in quite a few different states and have not been to one yet that specifically says you cannot use a Berger bullet. I know there are a few places where it is illegal to use bullets containing lead but when you say it is illegal in most places you should do your home work first before posting.

To be a little more precise heres the Alabama law.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211202-111906_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-111906_Google.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 88
Show me any State where it is illegal...a Berger "mushrooms" just like any other cup n core bullet...I think a little too many mushrooms have been consumed by guys posting on this thread.
Since you are in California here is the California Description out of the Law:
(1) A softnose or expanding projectile is a bullet designed to increase from its original diameter, commonly referred to as "mushrooming", and retain a significant part of its original weight upon impact with, or when passing through the tissues of an animal.

And this is what Berger Says:
What is the difference between Berger hunting and target bullets?
Berger hunting bullets are built with a thinner J4 jacket, allowing for 2-3" of penetration followed by a rapid expansion.

There are plenty of people who use whatever they want and there are lots of animals that go off and die somewhere and are not found due to exactly this.

Have a good day.

(1) A softnose or expanding projectile is a bullet designed to increase from its original diameter, commonly referred to as "mushrooming", and retain a significant part of its original weight upon impact with, or when passing through the tissues of an animal.

Berger hunting bullets are built with a thinner J4 jacket, allowing for 2-3" of penetration followed by a rapid expansion.

There are plenty of people who use whatever they want and there are lots of animals that go off and die somewhere and are not found due to exactly this.

Have a good day.
And alot if poor shot placement blamed on the bullet no matter the brand.
Have a good day.

Have a good day.
Big Difference between the law and your perspective on ammunition.

Recent Posts