?? Wonder if I made a bad choice

I normally shoot Hornady ELDX 200gr. I was out of those and couldn't find any at all…my buddy the shoots long range recommended the bullets I have pictured BERGER 208gr long range hybrid…I bought them and found a good load for my gun. I shoot deer out to 500 so I'm puzzled at the shot I took with this new ammo. Deer was perfectly broadside 290yrds…I was in box stand using bags. Made what thought was a perfect shot. Deer ran off. I haven't found one ounce of blood anywhere. Did I make the wrong choice in bullet? Should I not shoot these at deer?
Sucks to vent your Spleen internationally...just to be told......YOU MISSED! We all do it from time to time....but generally...might only tell our CLOSEST FRIENDS...I MEAN YEARS HERE! OH...bye the way....this isn't a Confessional site....no HAIL MARYS REQUIRED!

I am not knocking OP. There is always that chance that something went wrong with shot.Sometimes those easy shots are where we screw up.I have done it.

Maybe stated and I just did not read.Have you checked zero on gun since the shot? I have also shot deer tracked or searched for 50 to 80 yrds of nothing then found blood and normally very small amounts.

How can you control the weight of the bullets drilling them anyway
All the drill is doing is cleaning any potential tumbling media from the hollow point. Anything removed is on such a micro level. I just use a heavier pin, poke it in the tip and wiggle around. Just making sure the hollow point is hollow. And I only do it to the few bullets I take in the field hunting

How can you control the weight of the bullets drilling them anyway
If that's a concern then weigh sorting bullets and brass better be a regular practice. You'd probably better hand weigh every charge of powder too.

This is a 250 grain OTM from a 338 Edge at 385 yards mv 3252fps. This is the entrance wound. That is a quart motor oil container as a reference. My son has shot 8 deer from 211 yards to 852 yards and every one has been DRT.
I have a 270 you can borrow. That picture is ugly . I don't see any meat left over for your eggs in the morning.

Last edited:
Here we go again. Another fight. Target bullets are generally set to retain their shape down range, and don't open up much at impact either. That way retain there velocity and are stable at longer ranges. I have seen it done several times. People will use what they want. I would have looked at Hammer bullets. Nosler is another good bullet that does the job.

Ok went and looked today and found nothing, but it's so thick you can't really see much. I did shoot a gallon milk jug at 300 to see where I'm hitting. Shot twice because I thought I missed the first shot. Upon checking the milk jug, the water was drained and both bullets left tiny tiny entrance and exit holes in the jug. Every time I have shot ELDX at milk jugs the jugs exploded. I'm not to happy with these bullets for deer. Great for paper but not an animal.
Lol... tell us you made up a story without actually saying you made it up.

The physics disagrees with you here... FMJs will blow up water jugs (even at that range) from hydrostatic shock alone, but I guess some people will believe you.