?? Wonder if I made a bad choice

This is a 250 grain OTM from a 338 Edge at 385 yards mv 3252fps. This is the entrance wound. That is a quart motor oil container as a reference. My son has shot 8 deer from 211 yards to 852 yards and every one has been DRT.

Attachments

• 2AB0C26A-EA3C-408F-A79B-62C8858DB90A.jpeg
    2AB0C26A-EA3C-408F-A79B-62C8858DB90A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
I think the terminal performance of that specific bullet is coming down to the melpat on those. Every other Berger we've seen mentioned here doesn't have the factory pointed melpat. Seems to me, making that hole smaller could very well contribute to it penciling though.

It's obvious that, I picked the Wrong Bullet to use as, a Reference,.. LOL !
YES,.. I do KNOW that,.. "some" Target Bullets, will work, Fine in "some", Hunting, applications !
I'm going to use, the 147 grain, ELD-Match Bullet to hunt, Deer / Antelope with, in my 6.5 Creed.
I'm DONE, here !

Last edited:
It's obvious that, I picked the Wrong Bullet to use as, a Reference,.. LOL !
YES,.. I do KNOW that,.. "some" Target Bullets, will work, Fine in "some",.. applications !
I'm going to use, the 147 grain, ELD-Match Bullet to hunt, Deer / Antelope with, in my 6.5 Creed.
I'm DONE, here !
You, Sir, are a better person for acknowledging that.

Listened to a Gunwerks podcast the other day and Aaron Davidson says this has no effect on the Berger's performance. He's the first person I've heard dispell this myth.

These actually have a thicker jacket due to the higher twist rates and actually perform very well on game.

The big takeaway I got from Aaron Davidson's podcast was he shoots to hit bone with Bergers, and he's killed a lot of animals with their bullets.
I've got friends who hate them, and others that swear by them. It's like anything, once you learn the strengths and weaknesses/limitations of what you're using, you adjust to get the performance you want and need. I'm a big proponent of choosing the proper bullet for the animal you're hunting, as well as for the caliber you're shooting and velocities you are getting. You need to stack these in your favor as much as possible.

I know when used in a specific way a target bullet will work. But crap happens, and when they do a hunting bullet has better odds of getting the job done. If I hit a bit back from the shoulder and end up doing a double lung shot the hunting bullet will kill fast, target bullet won't. I know different target bullets work in different ways, a hunting bullet works for hunting, plain and simple.

I just hate like hell I was reccomended a bullet not meant for an animal.

Now you know, lesson learned.

Last edited:
I guess I am out of your league then. I get excited even on a doe, even with nearly five decades of hunting. The time I do not get excited is the time for me to hang up and call it quits. I have used many different bullets designated as target bullets with successful harvests. If I miss, I have no problem admitting it. But obviously, that is not the case for you. Carry on ...

Remember brother, average hunters still get buck fever. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No hair, no blood, knows exactly where the deer was standing= whiff. We've all been there.

I would watch for buzzards in the next couple of days and follow up with any consistent circling. Buzzards likely won't find land as they prefer an open area to feast. But they will circle, drawn by the smell of decaying flesh.