?? Wonder if I made a bad choice

@7sand8s did y'all have any luck with the blood dog? Did you go back and look deeper than the initial 40-60 yards?
The man that owns the dog is farmer and was up picking beans all day and half the night. I went back today and search but it's some very thick tight cover and I could have walked within 5 ft of him (if dead) and not seen him. But yes I went farther than 60yrds following a few different deer trails.

For example, a quick google search of the Berger 215 Hybrid for hunting will provide you with days of reading successful hunting stories. It's not up for debate anymore, long since been tested and verified that this particular hybrid is a fantastic hunting bullet.
Read, the bottom Line of my post,. I AGREE with this, ONE,. Bullet !
You CAN'T say for sure that, , ALL of, the Hybrid "Target Bullets" in ALL of, the different Calibers, will "do",.. the SAME ???
The 105 grain 6mm Hybid may NOT,.. "perform" as well ( Expand much ).
Shoot what "works", IF you,.. TEST them, I say !
Most of, the Hunting public does NOT, "test" their Bullets or, even,. Practice much !

It sure would have been nice to see the bullet in question. Even FMJ will create serious internal damage;

51 second mark shows two projectiles leaving. Common occurrence even with FMJ's is the bullet to fragment. Usually at the cannelure. Pretty sure I learned that from Dr Fackler.

I'm perplexed...if you knew the area well and knew that it is extremely thick and hard to track an animal then why did you go for a lung shot? From the sounds of it, you never miss and can hit an animal wherever you want whenever you want, so why didn't you shoot him in the shoulder or the neck for a DRT and no tracking at all?

Did you clean the tips out? Do you manage recoils well enough to spot your impacts? Did you hear the report of the bullet impacting the animal? Where do you like to aim for point of impact? Did you impact heavy bone? Personal experience with Berger I have not seen them pencil at high impact speeds. Only lower. I personally have seen what I call the Berger delay which is the animal is hit shows minimal signs of a hit but it's really dead on its feet. Another member just had a very nice buck run a long ways after a good shot they can and are very tough. I don't think you made a bad choice in bullets. I think what your seeing is a different reaction to a bullet you have not shot game with before theorfore every bullet I have ever shot game with has its own character.
The jackets on their Target Bullets are much thicker than the Hunting Bullets and make sure the hole is clear and open.

That's correct. For one thing , I don't have enough testosterone when it comes to shooting 1000yds on a deer ,yet less a puny whitetail doe. But I do have enough testosterone to post this on this forum. If your that hard up, to have shoot bambi with a 300 at a 100, and possibly 1000 yrder, why not carry the 300 for the long and the shotgun for the short. Guys carry all kinds of crap with them when their going BIG TIME!
Testosterone (or lack there of) has nothing to do with it, the only thing stopping you is ignorance. What kind of guy comes on a LR hunting site and tells someone to use a shotgun. Sounds like you take your advice from the current leader of this country. 😂😂😂
Times like this I like to use the easy button, it's labeled IGNORE.

The man that owns the dog is farmer and was up picking beans all day and half the night. I went back today and search but it's some very thick tight cover and I could have walked within 5 ft of him (if dead) and not seen him. But yes I went farther than 60yrds following a few different deer trails.
SORRY, for the loss of your Deer !
The only, "good News", is that,.. the Coyotes, Crows, wild Hogs and Ants are gonna, eat good !
You ARE, a Brave man for posting about, THIS on, this Site !
Personally, I believe that, you Hit the Deer and the Target Bullet, just, "Penciled thru", NO mans land ( under the Backstrap / Spine, area ! ).
Years ago, I put a Broadhead thru, the same "spot" on, a Nice 4 X 4 Idaho Muley ( the Arrow was coated with, Blood ) and after a couple of Yards the Wound closed over and,.. NO, Blood Trail ! "Chit happens" to, ALL of us !
Better Luck,.. NEXT, time !

Last edited:
Testosterone (or lack there of) has nothing to do with it, the only thing stopping you is ignorance. What kind of guy comes on a LR hunting site and tells someone to use a shotgun. Sounds like you take your advice from the current leader of this country. 😂😂😂
Times like this I like to use the easy button, it's labeled IGNORE.
I apologize. Didn' t mean to raise your blood pressure. Human beings do have the shortest memories. First of all, being on this forum, I figured I could , because I have free will and I thought most of us like freedom of speech, so we can express our thoughts . Evidently , you think like our current leader. ( Definition Hypocrite). And the shotgun I was thinking maybe more appropriate for the job. Talking about the easy button, I'm glad the God has not given you authorization to any nuke. God bless and enjoy the rest of your day . Cpl. USMC 82-87 Acts: 2:38

I normally shoot Hornady ELDX 200gr. I was out of those and couldn't find any at all…my buddy the shoots long range recommended the bullets I have pictured BERGER 208gr long range hybrid…I bought them and found a good load for my gun. I shoot deer out to 500 so I'm puzzled at the shot I took with this new ammo. Deer was perfectly broadside 290yrds…I was in box stand using bags. Made what thought was a perfect shot. Deer ran off. I haven't found one ounce of blood anywhere. Did I make the wrong choice in bullet? Should I not shoot these at deer?
Sorry Bud.....sounds like ya missed......aint a rare thing at all.

That's what I'm wondering. Deer was perfectly broadside. I aimed behind shoulder with a slight rise of my crosshairs (I'm shooting 2" high at 100) when I shot deer spun around and head back to where he came out of woulda at. I'd shoot that same shoot 1,000 times again. It felt good. Just wondering if bullet went in and out and didn't expand leaving pencil size entrance and exit holes
Any bullet that has "target" or "match" in the title should not be used on game…period. Exception pelt hunting for Varmints