?? Wonder if I made a bad choice

You shot a deer with a target Bullet , that's what you can expect to happen, find another bullet that is for hunting.
Does that apply to everyone or just this bullet? I see huge numbers of hunters using target bullets from just about every brand known, and claiming they are the best thing since man started using rocks.

Last edited:
No but I do have milk jug that was full of water with lid on that had two tiny entrance holes amd two tiny exit holes…the milk jug didn't even move when shot. I have shot a hundred jugs and they have all exploded when hit….these bullets didn't even have budge the jug. Might as well be shooting FMJ
It sure would have been nice to see the bullet in question. Even FMJ will create serious internal damage;

Personally i wouldn't use either of those bullets on game unless they were the only bullets on earth. The only credit I'd give either would go to the marketing department and those spinning the hype as neither are predictable or dependable performers; their are way better options out there.

Personally i wouldn't use either of those bullets on game unless they were the only bullets on earth. The only credit I'd give either would go to the marketing department and those spinning the hype as neither are predictable or dependable performers; their are way better options out there.
Totally agree now!!

I normally shoot Hornady ELDX 200gr. I was out of those and couldn't find any at all…my buddy the shoots long range recommended the bullets I have pictured BERGER 208gr long range hybrid…I bought them and found a good load for my gun. I shoot deer out to 500 so I'm puzzled at the shot I took with this new ammo. Deer was perfectly broadside 290yrds…I was in box stand using bags. Made what thought was a perfect shot. Deer ran off. I haven't found one ounce of blood anywhere. Did I make the wrong choice in bullet? Should I not shoot these at deer?
IT SAYS TARGET

I know I didn't miss him….that shot was spot on…I'm not bragging but it was an easy shot for me also. I still feel good about it even after not finding blood
Sucks for sure and how we learn. The internet information has compounded the information confusion for me. I have had similar experiences over my hunting life with different bullets to different cartridges. I have tried and will try new things based on what others tell me and some on my own information. Biggest bullet failures for me. I had160gr Speer Grand Slams at 3300fps pencil three bulls on perfect broadside shots 150-300yds. They all took multiple rounds to kill. The one took 4 rounds until gun was empty and finally fell over and flopped a little before dying. Same exact thing with 190 VLD Hunting at 3400fps, and exact opposite on game performance and multiple rounds to kill all of them. Only one was broadside the closest and the other two quartering away 100, 150, and 440 yards. I have not had any other bullet fail so miserably on those two types/weights. I have many other bullets from green box Core Lokt, to Mono's at pretty much same shot distances, angles, etc.. For me....those two bullets and even some similar to me are not going to be used or suggested by me.

The ranches we guided on sendero may be 100 yards wide at most maybe a mile long but they never run that way when shot way to many rattlesnakes and cactus to be tracking wounded animals
Sometimes even on a well-placed shot, the game expires differently. A few years ago, my hunting buddies and I harvested 3 MT bulls. My buddy was shooting factory ammo loaded with 180 Barnes TTSX out of his .300 WM and took him three shots at 100Y (2 pass-through in the lung, another shot to front shoulder) that penetrated 3/4 through the bull's body. My other buddy shot his with factory ammo loaded with 180 Berger VLD out of his 7MM RM at 350Y; the bull was DRT. Mine was taken with a 190 Berger VLD at 931Y front shoulder. Despite the internal organs being all souped-up, he managed to run ~200Y with heard. IMHO, all the bullets performed as advertised, but the game expired differently.

Do you archery hunt? If so, do you tune your bow and tune your arrows?

Do you hand load? Do you tune your loads? Powder charge weight, seating depth, maybe primer test, maybe neck tension, maybe turn necks/uniform primer pockets?

Not sure why one more step is so foreign of a concept for the quest in perfection.
My first archery elk hunt I had the herd surround me and passed on a shot because one in our group swore he hit one, but made a bad shot. When I got there I found no blood even though he swore the cow ran off with an arrow in it's hind quarter. I found one drop of pee where the cow stood. I followed the tracks and found no blood for 200 yards. I went back to where I found the pee and lined up the shot. Found one twig with a fresh clean cut. I found the arrow between the hunter and cow buried in the dirt. Clean miss.

Every year I watch quite a few whitetail go. Between family and friends trips and some of the guiding I do, I've seen a wide array of bullets used on whitetail. I've also been apart of management hunts on MLD properties where 20+ does have been needed to be taken. Shoulder shots, gut shots, neck shots, heart shots, head shots, long shots, you name it, there a good chance I've seen it.
One ranch manager used an ar15 chambered in 5.56 shooting fmjs. I didn't think it would work but it did as long as vitals were hit.
The fmjs would not expand if no bone was hit. But there would always be hair if not blood. The deer would die usually within 30-100 yds. Not ideal, but it wasn't my place to go into ethics.
Gut shot whitetail with some of the long range hunting bullets will leave hair and bits and pieces of skin. Those run a lot and require a follow up shot.
I hate to say this but if you hit the deer, there should at least be hair. If the bullet exited and just penciled through, some skin or chunks of tissue would more than likely be present as well. Even a hit in the no man's land, behind the shoulder and high just below the spine would result in either the animal falling temporarily or some form of hair tissue. We all miss eventually!