Wolves vs Mt.lion

HARPERC

Some pretty grim numbers coming out of Jackson Hole/Teton area. Only 7% of Mt. Lions are surviving to adulthood.

Pretty much laid it out the wolf population is the reason, a few human kills etc., but the evidence in the study is very strong it's the wolf.

Wolves know not to tolerate another top predator. I sure wish we could get with natural law and get rid of the wolves. I guess you could say that wolf lovers are not predators which makes them prey in my book.

A couple of years back I ran across two wolves that were tracking a couple does that were 30 minutes ahead of them. For about 30 seconds I thought it was all cool and everything to see wolves. I was finally able to pull my head out of my ***. Then I figured out what they were thinking as they were staring at me, "Can I eat that?" They figured probably not and wandered off after the deer. These wolves were about the same size and weight as the deer. Since that time I've run across grizzly as well. Keep in mind this is in Washington were we didn't have either when I was growing up. It didn't take me long to figure out that this isn't good. Both species bring NO BENEFIT but wolves are especially damaging to wildlife. They are only good for one thing and that is killing stuff. We don't need them to control game populations. I want that job and I want the wolves gone - ALL OF THEM. Come election time that is where my money/votes will be going.

Have seen where wolves have actually killed mountain lions but what happens most often is that the wolves take a kill away from a puss with kittens. The lions could live for a week on the kill but the wolves run them off clean up the kill and force the lions to hunt for another meal.

A couple of years back I ran across two wolves that were tracking a couple does that were 30 minutes ahead of them. For about 30 seconds I thought it was all cool and everything to see wolves. I was finally able to pull my head out of my ***. Then I figured out what they were thinking as they were staring at me, "Can I eat that?" They figured probably not and wandered off after the deer. These wolves were about the same size and weight as the deer. Since that time I've run across grizzly as well. Keep in mind this is in Washington were we didn't have either when I was growing up. It didn't take me long to figure out that this isn't good. Both species bring NO BENEFIT but wolves are especially damaging to wildlife. They are only good for one thing and that is killing stuff. We don't need them to control game populations. I want that job and I want the wolves gone - ALL OF THEM. Come election time that is where my money/votes will be going.

Just happened to re-watch 'Crying Wolf' recently. Watch online for free at: Crying Wolf | Exposing the Wolf Reintroduction to Yellowstone National Park Good refresher on what we are up against.

Carl,

Can you supply a link to that study if it's available online?

Engineering101,

Agreed and well said. Ran across a wolf at 50 yards myself this year hunting elk in Washington. It saw me before I saw it. The whole area had wolf tracks everywhere in the snow and I did not see one elk or deer track in miles of x-country walking that day.

Where'd you see the griz? NE part of state?

jmden

Most of the grizzly are in the NE part of the state where I grew up hunting and that is where I saw the wolves I mentioned however the grizzly I saw was about a mile south of Indian Tom creek/corral in the Blue Mountains. It was waddling down a wide open hill side in the middle of the day - by far the prettiest bear I've ever seen. Golden blonde with a raccoon black mask. You don't expect to run across a grizzly in that part of the country but the fact that it was huge (600 pounds kind of huge) and the hump sort of gave me the clue as to what I was looking at. I was maybe 300 yards away and I was using 15X binos. It took a couple of minutes for it to get back out of sight in the draw at the bottom of the hillside. That they have spread now clear to Oregon is what is disturbing.

Where did you see the wolf? I'll be sure not to hunt there.

jmden

Most of the grizzly are in the NE part of the state where I grew up hunting and that is where I saw the wolves I mentioned however the grizzly I saw was about a mile south of Indian Tom creek/corral in the Blue Mountains. It was waddling down a wide open hill side in the middle of the day - by far the prettiest bear I've ever seen. Golden blonde with a raccoon black mask. You don't expect to run across a grizzly in that part of the country but the fact that it was huge (600 pounds kind of huge) and the hump sort of gave me the clue as to what I was looking at. I was maybe 300 yards away and I was using 15X binos. It took a couple of minutes for it to get back out of sight in the draw at the bottom of the hillside. That they have spread now clear to Oregon is what is disturbing.

Where did you see the wolf? I'll be sure not to hunt there.

Down in the Blues, huh? I hadn't heard of them being there. Must've come over from ID? We've got them up by Mt. Baker--multiple sightings. One by an acquaintance that's had enough training and enough time in AK to know bears that I am confident in what they saw. We've got 'em coming over the CA border up here.

The wolf was part of the Teanaway Pack which is situated just north of I-90 by Cle Elum. There are alot more than that of course:

Washington Wolf Packs | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

...just the ones they want us to know about. There's been wolf sighting down around Mt. Adams as well. It'll be interesting to see what all the clueless Seattlites that think wolves are such a great thing start having troubles around Seattle like they are having with wolves not too far from Paris, France right now:

Wolves Approach Paris as Farmers Cry Foul Over Protected Species - Bloomberg

Sounds somewhat familiar to what many ranchers are dealing with over here...

Research Shows Low Cougar Survival Rate In Jackson Hole | 2014-03-25 | Grand View Outdoors

Wolves, cold, hunters all threaten cougar kittens - Jackson Hole News&Guide: Environmental

I think that will work. Not my best skill set. Jackson Hole News & Guide, via Grandview outdoors.

My son just left so I can't include another link, but if you google University of Idaho Wolf, Mt. Lion study you should find articles from the study that established this behavior a dozen years ago. If not let me know, and I'll find it for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.