Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

I watched the news report last evening with great interest. I've trapped, snared, and hunted wolves over the years. I've also read and researched the matter of wolf-human interactions. Wolves attacking humans is a very rare, hardly ever documented, incident. But the Troopers and Fish & Game have as much as concluded that wolves killed this young lady based on the medical examiner's report. I'd like to know more details to judge better for myself, but the details are evidently withheld to respect the family members. Sad times for the family members for sure.

Alaska government has a long history of being pro-wolf control, over the objections of the PETA-type groups. In spite of those objections, we currently have active wolf kill/control programs in action. Shooting from planes is legal. Fish & Game will even track, spot and shoot wolves from helicopters when the situations get dire enough.

This wolf killing of this lady will make it that much easier for the State to continue focused wolf/predator control programs. I know what I'd be doing if I lived in Chignik Bay. Wolf hides are worth about $300 last I knew, and I know where to find a few. The trooper interviewed on the news last night made it clear the locals, Fish & Game, the State Troopers, alone or in cooperation, intend to extract some revenge in the hopes of preventing a second sad story from this small community down on the remote regions of the Alaska Peninsula. I would hope they employ a helicopter to assist in the effort, although I don't know how much snow cover they currently have down there. Snow comes and goes down there due to the ocean influence on temperatures.

Re: wolf attack

I hate that this took place, I read some of the comments that folks were leaving concerning the wolf attack In the link that you provided. I really can't say what I would like to say to those individuals maybe if it happens to one of their loved ones , then they might get their head out of the sand. this may be a dumb question but those of you that have wolfe's & yotes is it possible that they can cross breed and if so have you seen this happening?

BigBuck

Re: Wolves Kill Woman

Wolves and coyotes are, by nature, mortal enemies. Wolves will commonly kill coyotes at every opportunity. I don't know if it's scientifically/biologically possible for them to cross-breed successfully or not. I know coyotes and dogs can, and do, breed successfully.

Anyhow, I don't believe there are any coyotes in the Chignik Bay area. Only wolves and fox. And brown bears. But bears should be in their dens this time of year and there were no bear tracks at the location of the killing. Only wolf tracks...

Re: Wolves Kill Woman

Wolves and coyotes are, by nature, mortal enemies. Wolves will commonly kill coyotes at every opportunity. I don't know if it's scientifically/biologically possible for them to cross-breed successfully or not. I know coyotes and dogs can, and do, breed successfully.

Anyhow, I don't believe there are any coyotes in the Chignik Bay area. Only wolves and fox. And brown bears. But bears should be in their dens this time of year and there were no bear tracks at the location of the killing. Only wolf tracks...

Thanks, I wonder if once that the wolves get a taste of human and see how easy it is if the problem will only progress if so they really have a problem on their hands. I know in the past that if a bear does this they usually put it down , Is that how they handle bears in Alaska?

Bigbuck

Yes, when it's within the means and ability of the State agencies, they will generally try to kill any human killing bear. However that's often harder done than said.

The Trooper gave every indication that there would be an effort to kill some local wolves. I know how I'd go about it, but whether or not they can proceed with a bait pile at the kill location or not politically - I can't say. I wouldn't be surprised but what some of the locals decide to go wolf hunting, and I suspect the authorities will be unconcerned over petty violations of normal hunting/trapping regulations.

If I were living in Chignik Bay, I would be very concerned about a repeat occurrence until the responsible wolf pack is taken out. I have no reason to expect these wolves wouldn't repeat with a kill of another vulnerable person, given the equivalent opportunity. They are very efficient killers once they target and focus in on their prey. That's how they survive. Rarely are humans the target of their attacks. This is the first documented wolf kill of a human in Alaska's history. But now that they've killed once, I'd bet my next paycheck they would do so again, given an equal opportunity.

i hate to say it but this may be what it takes to happen before the idiots in montana, idaho, and wyoming get their heads out of their asses and start controlling the wolves there. there is a reason the people who settled this land waged war on wolves.....
i know there were some guys on here that had wolf tags this winter, did anyone ever get one? AJ

"I wouldn't be surprised but what some of the local decide to go wolf hunting,"

+1 Something needs to be done.

Bigbuck

i hate to say it but this may be what it takes to happen before the idiots in montana, idaho, and wyoming get their heads out of their asses and start controlling the wolves there. there is a reason the people who settled this land waged war on wolves.....
i know there were some guys on here that had wolf tags this winter, did anyone ever get one? AJ

People are attacked and killed by grizzlies but they are still protected. i don't see it being much different with wolves. i hope it doesn't come down to that, but if wolves are allowed to run free without fear of man, I think tragedies are inevitable.

People are attacked and killed by grizzlies but they are still protected. i don't see it being much different with wolves. i hope it doesn't come down to that, but if wolves are allowed to run free without fear of man, I think tragedies are inevitable.

My dad was attacked by a MTN lion in Colorado while Elk hunting several years ago . I was directly across from my dad on the opposite side of a canyon . I remember it like it was yesterday It wasn't even close to legal shooting light when I heard a gun shot I thought to myself what kind of idiot is shooting in the dark . So, I then called my dad with the radio and when his voice came on I could tell he was shook up bad talking 90 MPH he said I just shot a MTN Lion . He had set up in a pile of rocks he didn't realize until it was daylight that he had sat down on a game trail as he was setting their he noticed something flicker so he looked even closer picked up his mag light and switched it on bam their stands a MTN lion very very close you may ask how close? well when my dad flipped the light on the MTN lion hunkered down dad had very little time to react but lifted his 7mm mag up with one hand and shot from the hip with the maglight in the other hand he just pointed the rifle and hit the MTN Lion right in the center of it's chest. It had to be close to do that no more than 20 feet max , we believe the MTN Lion was sneaking up on my dad . We were later told that you can shoot an animal if you are threatened is this true? If it is true couldn't the residents carry a pistol while walking and jogging and if threatened shoot the wolfe's legally?

bigbuck

dogdinger,

You ought to change the title of your thread to draw proper attention to this incident. Like the title 'Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska'.

Current U.S. human population estimates.

U.S. 308,854,796

22:25 UTC (EST+5) Mar 12, 2010

Number of people killed by wolves = 1

Number of people kill by drunk driving = 13,846

Perhaps we should go and shoot all of the people who drink and drive.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.