Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

Thanks for the Info steve. It would be real nice in the future if they would allow a bonus wolf tag for all hunters that purchase say an elk and cow tag . That would be a reason to keep the staedy flow of hunters coming back but thats probably to good to actually happen.

BigBuck

I think they took in nearly 2 mil for wolf tags last year. But the money has nothing to do with the problem at hand. The decreased hunting revenues will probably not be felt for another 10yrs. It was money that got the wolves here. It's big business, and an anti hunting movement. Killing a token 100 wolves per year through hunting is nothing more than a pacifier to shut up the sportsmen, and draw some more money into F&G. I think F&G is just trying to deal with the problem that was thrown at them. They were not the push to get the wolves.

Steve

Probably a eutopian idea but what if no one bought any licenses fishing or hunting including outside the state sportsman and no one bought any hunting or fishing sports gear at all within the state ie guns, ammo, reloading rods, lures...everything. I bet they'd wake up alot sooner than 10 years down the road. Heck with a few hurricanes in Florida resulting in tourist drop off and the states in an uproar. Anyway, I guess in reality assembling the masses for such a cause is probably unrealistic and beside the anti's wouldn't care about revenue just there cause at any price/tax loss.

Probably a eutopian idea but what if no one bought any licenses fishing or hunting including outside the state sportsman and no one bought any hunting or fishing sports gear at all within the state ie guns, ammo, reloading rods, lures...everything. I bet they'd wake up alot sooner than 10 years down the road. Heck with a few hurricanes in Florida resulting in tourist drop off and the states in an uproar. Anyway, I guess in reality assembling the masses for such a cause is probably unrealistic and beside the anti's wouldn't care about revenue just there cause at any price/tax loss.

No sportsman collaboration on this one I'm afraid. I know I would not join it. I stayed in MT and gave up a high income in order to not miss hunting and fishing.

Right on about the anti's. Don't forget that they are also anti capitalist. So the shutting down of capitalist commerce is also part of the goal.

Our constitution is not done yet, so I still hold out hope. Through the election process we still can change things.

Steve

Re: Killer Wolf Hunt Halted for Now

The man-killer wolf hunt ended today. The State killed two wolves matching the description of wolves that had been seen and described by some of the locals.

State Troopers were estimating two to four wolves were responsible for the killing, based on the tracks they observed at the location of the struggle and death. Since they couldn't locate any more wolves in the vicinity of the village, it may well be that the killer wolves have already been taken out.

State officials says that if more wolves are sighted and reported near Chignik Lake that they will return to continue their pursuit in the first week in April.

When hunting wolves do you stalk or are you in a tree stand or both? I think stalking would be unreal but dangers as all hell, we have dingos and wild dogs but you don't have to worry to much about them attacking you unless you corner them but a high powered rifle tends to stop them from attacking you in a big hurry. What caliber rifle do you use when hunting wolves I imagen you'd use a 243 or 270. Would a chest shot stop a wolf with a 22-250? Has anyone ever shot a wolf with a .22LR? In Australia we have a minimum size caliber for wolves or other game? Lot of questions I know.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.